Author Topic: Totally Devastated!!!!  (Read 3996 times)

DeeDeeR

Totally Devastated!!!!
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:18:49 am »
I went Friday for my 3 month post op. (translab approach 2.8cm)  My doctor said he was amazed of my progress and what little facial damage I had and all of my lingering issues should resolve themselves within a few months.  I started getting an ear ache in my non-AN ear on Sunday.  Overnight the pain became very intense, meds wouldn't even help. I awoke Monday morning with a drooped mouth and wide eye.  (again, on my non AN side)  My husband immediately took me to the doctor and I have Bell's Palsy!  I am totally devastated!  All of the trauma that was suppose to happen in my AN side is now in my "good" side.  One eye constantly waters, the other one is dry.  My mouth looks and feels horrible.  I totally am broken and don't know what to do...Has this happened to anyone else? 

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Totally Devastated!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:38:47 pm »
Never happened to me but it did to a friend of mine and she is fully recovered and her face is fully functional.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:39:08 pm »
Dee Dee ~

I'm terribly sorry to learn that you've developed Bell's Palsy and can understand your shock and dismay. 

This is a very disturbing affliction but, as james e. noted, is usually transient (probably a few weeks).  Your doctor can tell you more and may prescribe a steroid medication if the effects are severe.  I'm not a physician and will not attempt to speculate on the cause but it is probably not directly related to your AN.

The point to focus on is that this condition (Bell's Palsy) although uncomfortable and obviously stress-inducing, is not likely to be permanent.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:56:58 pm »
Dee Dee - Make sure you ask your surgeon about all this in case he wants to give steroids or something.  He may also have some good words to make you feel better.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Ruthie Mac

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:23 pm »
I have no experience to contribute but your post was so heartfelt, I just want to say that my prayers are with you for a quick healing of the Bell's palsy. I do know people who have had a temporary case of it following a very stressful time, so maybe that's all it is. We can't underestimate the stress we're all going though in dealing with the treatment of our AN's.
Sending you peace....
Ruth
4/1/2013  1 cm x 1.6 cm left ear
11/1/2013 SRS Varian Trilogy UMass Medical (4 sessions)
hearing is still good, slight tinnitus, working on balance issues

robinb

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:25:33 am »
Hi Ruth

I had Bells Palsy almost 20 years ago on my non AN side. It was devastating to me at the time. All I can say is that it took about 4-6 weeks to clear up. with steroids. I had to wear a patch on my eye as I couldn't close it. I was not set for further tests and I don't know if there were MRIs then. If there were, I wonder if my AN would have shown up.

The Bells Palsy was worse than any side effects I had from AN and the gamma knife treatment.

It will get better!
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

Nannybee

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:40:01 pm »
A colleague of mine developed Bell's Palsy as a result of shingles. It lasted about 6-8 weeks. Hopefully yours will be short-lived.
NB
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

iz2014

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 05:52:11 pm »
My mother had Bells Palsy after giving birth to my twin brother and I. It shouldn't last too long. Hope that helps a little and hope you are better soon.