Author Topic: BAHA: Any Brand Preference?  (Read 1964 times)

esw428

BAHA: Any Brand Preference?
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:15 pm »
Hello All!

I am 11 months post op (3.5 cm translab at House) and lost both my hearing and balance nerve in the surgery.  Living with SSD has presented a lot of challenges and today I had an evaluation with an audiologist at House to discuss options.  They let me try out a BAHA device via a headband and I almost cried when I could hear in my ear's "blind spot."  I already have to have another surgery because the ear drum in my bad ear has ruptured so I plan to go ahead and get the BAHA implant at the same time.  They provided me with two different manufacturer options - Cochelar and Oticon.  I think I want to go with Cochelar because it is a more established company but wanted to get some feedback from the group before making a decision.  Does anyone have any strong opinions towards the BAHA in general or either brand?  Keep in mind I am a 30 year old who works in live entertainment so I deal with many different volume scenarios on a regular basis.

Thank you!
3 cm AN - diagnosed March 2013
Translab surgery - May 2013
House Clinic - Dr. Slattery & Dr. Schwartz

Heresrose

Re: BAHA: Any Brand Preference?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:38:37 am »
I got the baha during my translab surgery. I got the Oticon. Unfortunately the baha has not worked for me and I haven't worn it for over a year. I am considering removing it from my skull.

Having said that there a number of people on this site who are very happy with their bahas and I'm sure they will chime in soon.

Good luck!

Rose
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA: Any Brand Preference?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:52:07 am »
My Oticon Medical abutment was implanted at the same time as my translab surgery in May, 2011 ...... by Dr. Friedman when he was still at House.  It was the best decision I ever made.  I wear my processor every single day from post-shower in the morning until I go to bed at night.  I love it!  I have the Ponto Pro model.

Prior to my surgery, I talked with Dr. Friedman about Cochlear vs. Oticon Medical.  His take on it was that Oticon has been in the hearing aid business far longer than Cochlear and makes a superior product.  (Cochlear pioneered the cochear implant for people with intact cochleas.)  Since the processor (hearing aid) part of the Ponto system is the most important component, it made more sense to have the skills/research of the Oticon company to develop the best processor.

I demo-ed the Cochlear BAHA prior to my surgery.  All I can say is the sound from my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro is far superior to the demo (in all fairness no demo is as good as the actual thing).

Feel free to PM me if you would like additional information or would like to talk.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011