Author Topic: Pregnancy after surgery  (Read 2872 times)

PurpleIris

Pregnancy after surgery
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:57:11 pm »
Hello,
This is my first post, though I lurked in the forums often after my diagnosis and subsequent surgery. I had my AN removed in June 2013, retrosigmoid approach. I have profound hearing loss on that side after surgery but am grateful that otherwise everything went as smoothly as possible - no balance issues, no facial nerve issues, some headaches but mostly resolved, able to get back to running 5 weeks after surgery and train/run a half marathon.

My question now is that I am newly pregnant (I have a 4 year old also) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this after surgery. I had spoken with my surgeon at my follow-up appt about what to do if I have another child, and he basically said "Your OB will send me a letter, I'll send them a letter, and they'll follow you". I'm mainly concerned about if/how this will affect my delivery options - my first birth was natural with no epidural, and after having a 9.5lb baby I'm certainly considering an epidural this time! I've looked for info about this online but haven't found much, I guess I'm mainly concerned about pushing - has anyone been told this is a problem post surgery? My appt with my midwife is not for several weeks and I'm hoping to find what information I can before that so we can work on a plan.

Thanks for reading.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Pregnancy after surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:26:35 pm »
I found an article on acoustic neuromas being diagnosed during pregnancy. To the right of the article are links to similar articles.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8109621

Being male, that's the extent of my contribution.  ::)
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Pregnancy after surgery
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:35:25 am »
My first child was born about 8 years post op from my first AN surgery, no special consideration needed, epidural etc. and a "natural" delivery without issue. I thought at that time I was "tumor free" and what was seen on the MRI before he was born was scar tissue, came to find out indeed it was tumor regrowth! I went on to have another child without issue with the regrowth still in there. Your neuro. doc is right, he'll send your OB a letter and the OB will send the neuro. a letter and that's likely all that will occur. It seems to me having AN surgery before or still having an AN during pregnancy/delivery is not an issue but that they just want to be aware it's there!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)