Author Topic: CSF Rhinorrhea lead after translate for 2cm acoustic neuroma  (Read 2665 times)

chudwilk

Hi, my name is Chad, I just had translate surgery for removal of a 2cm acoustic neuroma. Three days later I developed a csf rhinorrhea leakage was taken back to the operating room for external auditory canal overclosure and obliteration of the eustachian tube orifice. Now I'm so scared that it will happen again and was wondering if this is a pretty low occurrence after this type of fix? The doctors seem confident that it was a definitive fix but I'm so paranoid and never want to go through another surgery like this! I'm desperately trying to move past this and recover, thank you!

LakeErie

Re: CSF Rhinorrhea lead after translate for 2cm acoustic neuroma
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:26:13 pm »
Chad, I had a nasal CSF leak following my surgery that began 2 days post-op. My surgeon's patients with this leak respond to conservative measures 80% of the time and I did, too. The leak stopped on its own after about 2 weeks without even the conservative measures such as bed rest and lumbar puncture or lumbar drain. Maybe I was just lucky.
I am no expert on this subject, but my research indicated that while CSF leaks can recur, they are very rare. If they do recur, conservative measures can often be used before more surgery is necessary. It is not something I, myself, am concerned with. I figure, right or wrong,that the longer my recovery lasts, the less likely I will have a recurrence of CSF leak. Good luck 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:28:40 pm by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

chudwilk

Re: CSF Rhinorrhea lead after translate for 2cm acoustic neuroma
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:58:56 pm »
Thanks for your response. My surgeon felt it was necessary to open my head back up and wax, glue and suture it with more tissue just to be sure. I wasn't expecting two surgeries in the same week and the second one I was more sore and can't barely talk now because of the breathing tube so as you can see I would never want to go back under!!! Now I just have to figure out how to get through this allergy season without sneezing and having a head that feels like a balloon! Anyway thanks for the input.