Author Topic: Post-Op Fatigue  (Read 2457 times)

nic

Post-Op Fatigue
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:37:54 am »
I had surgery on Jan 14,14.  Left AN 2.9  (retrosigmoid craniotomy) I know that we are all different but I'm hoping to get an idea about how long the fatigue will last.
I stayed in the hospital (Jefferson, Phila, PA) for 4 days and then did a month in rehab (Magee, Phila, PA).   No paralysis, thank God! Still have significant balance issues.  I've started doing outpaitent rehab and take a walk everyday - about an hour (shopping and yard work count!) Originally, after the exertion, I spent the rest of the day on the couch.  Now after resting for a few hours I can get up for a couple of more hours.  Asleep every night at 9pm!  Today is 4/12/14.  Am I doing ok?  Normal?  On track?

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Post-Op Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:15 am »
Everyone is different but it sounds like you're doing ok. We each must learn our limits and be careful "pushing" them. I found if I pushed it I paid for it for a couple of days thereafter. Listen to your body!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:58:57 pm »
Fatigue typically lasts a long time - and generally is (at least somewhat) related to the amount of time you're under anesthesia.

My surgery lasted 7 1/2 hours and I'd say I was fatigued for at least the first year post op.  Not to the point of being incapacitated, but I didn't have the energy I usually had.

Everyone is different though.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »
Yes, like everyone else I was really fatigued for quite a while.  Even almost 5 years later I have moments when I do too much and it just wipes me out.  Something about when your balance system gets compromised then your brain is working overtime which leaves you tired.  Just be patient...you'll be back to your "new" normal soon enough! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston