Author Topic: Middle Fossa done 4/16  (Read 4032 times)

Pharm925

Middle Fossa done 4/16
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:57:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

I, like many, have lurked around here for a bit. Now that I had my AN removed on April 16th, I wanted to say thank you all for your advice and support (even if you didn't know it, it helped!). I had my surgery done in Houston at Methodist via middle fossa approach and couldn't be happier. It went very well and I am beyond excited that my hearing seems to be saved (we will see how much), I had no facial paralysis, able to get around my house very well (getting better each day), and he didn't save much of my hair at all (being a girl I was concerned!) I get my stitches out Tuesday of this coming week. I hope if anyone has any questions they let me know, as I am so proud and happy to say I am on the "other side" now. Best of luck to all you An-ers!
Diagnosed 9/2012 - 8mm
5/2013- no growth- 8mm
4/2014- no growth- 8mm
Surgery on 4/16/2014 by Dr. Vrabec at Methodist in Houston-100% removed via Middle Fossa approach
6/6/2014- Hearing test done and AN ear hearing mostly saved!!!
4/2015- MRI 1 year post-op- clean of AN!!! :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Middle Fossa done 4/16
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:18:10 pm »
Pharm 925 ~

Congratulations on what appears to have been a very successful AN surgery!

Thanks for your kind words about the ANA discussion forums.  I'm so glad they were of help.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CatzEyes

• are we having fun yet?
    • Art for Art's Sake Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 01:34:05 pm »
Hi Pharm925 --

I'm also a newcomer here and feel like I've done nothing since my meeting with my neurosurgeon on Thursday but read thread after thread here, always finding something new that's a) encouraging b) frightening as heck c) both of the above.

I'm pretty much expecting we'll schedule Middle Fossa for me at Swedish in Seattle by the end of May. I'd be very interested to learn more about your experience -- post-op and now that you're home and recovering. I'll follow this thread in case you expanding on the experience here, but you're welcome to PM me if you prefer. I'm feeling bold and confident at lunchtime today, but fully expect to be fretful and fearful again tomorrow morning at 5:30am.

Congratulations on the procedure being uneventful -- may the rest of the healing process be likewise!

Laura
Middle Fossa surgery at Swedish, Seattle, Drs Delashaw and Bacchus, 5/5/14. Retained 98% hearing in surgical ear after 6 months recovery time.
diagnosed 3/15/14 :: 6mm x 4mm x 3mm AN in right ear.
mother diagnosed 3/2005 8mm; gamma knife 2007 at 14mm. some regrowth, pressing balance nerve, by 2012

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »
Hey congrats!! Welcome to the MF club!! Your AN was about the same size as mine, so I hope you do retain your hearing as I did.  However my word discrimination suffered pretty good which led me to getting  a BAHA, which greatly helps!  Anyways, continue to heal and eventually you'll be back to normal!  By the way, did you have issues with your jaw not opening too? I sure did!  :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Pharm925

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:39:23 am »
Thanks everyone! So far so good! I will try to post an update after I see my doctor for post op and removal of my stitches tomorrow.

Jay logs, thank you! I am happy to be on this side of the club now, helping others! I think I can hear pretty well in my AN ear, thank God. I imagine we will do a hearing test before log to find out if I lost any hearing, I had 100% before surgery, actually. I had a bit of a problem with my jaw after surgery, but it seems to be getting better. That was the hardest part about eating, but I'm eating pretty much back to normal now. Did you do anything to help with your jaw? Did you have any problem with your tongue? Like the taste buds almost feel like you burned them? I contributed that to the tube during surgery/anesthesia. I think it's getting better, but I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow about it.

Catz, I'd be willing to answer any specific questions you have. I have to say my doctors were fantastic and I'd highly recommend to anyone. I contribute my successful surgery to their amazing skill and knowledge. I am lucky to live in Houston, where the largest medical center in the world is. I am 27 years old and graduating pharmacy school this May 24th with my whole life ahead of me and feels so great to have this behind me. It's weird being one of the youngest people with this condition, or who HAD this condition. I completely understand how you feel. With a year and a half between my diagnosis and surgery, I had a lot of time to feel scared and brave. There were days that I felt like I couldn't do this. Other days I felt like I wanted to go in that day just to get it over with so I wouldn't have to think about it every day of my life. My first night after surgery I was in the ICU (standard procedure) for monitoring. The whole room was spinning after surgery, but it got better with every hour. I was up eating breakfast in the chair the next morning. Not a lot, but as much as I felt like. Eating felt like such a chore (not a lot of energy + anesthesia made me kind of lose my appetite). I moved to the regular floor the next night, where I got a bit more sleep. I got up and did some assisted walking mainly to use the restroom/ to the chair to eat. I got my bandage off 3 days after surgery and that felt good, since it had to be pretty tight. I went home Easter Sunday after spending 4 nights in the hospital. Since being home I have had my husband and parents here helping me, but I am able to get around the house without assistance now. I have made a couple of short trips out the house (cabin fever setting in) and the car still makes me dizzy, but bearable. It gets better each day. I threw up twice in the hospital, but none since I've been home. That was the most eventful it got for me, thank God! Like I said, feel free to ask me any specific questions you have. Stay brave, my friend!
Diagnosed 9/2012 - 8mm
5/2013- no growth- 8mm
4/2014- no growth- 8mm
Surgery on 4/16/2014 by Dr. Vrabec at Methodist in Houston-100% removed via Middle Fossa approach

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:41:21 am »
Just thrilled you still have your hearing. Did Vrabec save your vestibular nerve?

James

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:06:06 am »
So glad things turned out well for you.

Mid-fossa is a great approach, it's unfortunate it's not an approach that all docs do or that all patients are eligible for.

The tongue issue you mention is what some of us old-time ANers call "metallic mouth".  Not everyone gets it, but it's a side-effect of surgery.  It generally goes away in time.  I think mine lasted about 6 months. 

Unlike you, my surgery left me SSD (single-sided deaf); so like Jay I have a BAHA.  Best thing I ever did post op.

Hope your recovery continues to go well.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pharm925

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »
Just thrilled you still have your hearing. Did Vrabec save your vestibular nerve?

James

No, my vestibular nerve had to be cut. I am doing quite well with that, though. It gets better every day. I just need to remember to keep moving my head back and forth to keep getting better. We will see how much hearing was saved on June 6th. I know some was lost, but I'm just glad it wasn't all of it. I'm blessed.

Thank you leapyrtwins!
Diagnosed 9/2012 - 8mm
5/2013- no growth- 8mm
4/2014- no growth- 8mm