Author Topic: Middle Fossa Surgery on June 3, Really?  (Read 3291 times)

Sweet Cedar

• Sweet Cedar
Middle Fossa Surgery on June 3, Really?
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:32:39 am »
Greetings!  This is my first post to the ANA forum.  After reading so much wisdom, advice, and common experiences, I'm sorry I waited.  You people are a wonderful comfort and resource from what I've seen so far. Let's just say this will hopefully be the beginning of a beautiful friendship!  ;)   

I was diagnosed in early March with a small AN deep in the right ear canal.  I'm thankful for the early diagnosis after it acted up before it got any bigger.  I have some hearing, but quality is shot.  But I am still able to locate sounds so have chosen middle fossa.  My thinking is I would like to know what direction that car with the blaring horn is coming from!  I'm heading down from Santa Barbara to St. Vincent Medical Center in LA tomorrow for the pre-op and then surgery on Tuesday with House surgeons Brackmann and Schwartz.  Even with less than 48 hours to go, I am still in denial that this is happening.  Brain surgery next week? Really? 
Tiny, but hugely annoying .8 cm AN deep in boney ear canal.  Middle fossa surgery June 3, 2014 St. Vincent Medical Center in LA, CA.

Hokiegal

Re: Middle Fossa Surgery on June 3, Really?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!  Please let know how you're doing.
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:05:06 pm »
Welcome to the group!  Although we didn't get to know you very well before your surgery we will be here for you afterwards.  Hope all goes well for you, feel free to ask questions or just share how it's going.  If you can't post please ask someone to post for you so we know how you are doing.  Take Care, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:21:50 pm »
You are in my prayers as you go through this next step of your journey.  I pray for everything to go perfectly and a speedy recovery.
Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness

TwistedSissta

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:37:40 am »
Hi Sweet Cedar! You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow! I hope all goes smoothly and recovery goes well. I am coming down to L.A. from Idaho for surgery with Dr. Wilkinson (House) at St. Vincents on the 16th. I'm eager to see how it all goes for you and wish you the best!

Trista
Dx: 3/27/14
Size: 10mm
Hearing loss, unsteady, facial tingling, tongue pain
How do you make the right decision without knowing the end results? This sucks & I'm scared.

Echo

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 06:42:00 am »
Wishing you the very best possible outcome from your surgery Sweet Cedar!
Update us when you can.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

cpchri1

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:25:25 am »
Hello Sweet Cedar and TwistedSissta -  I loved St. Vincent and the great people at House.  Since I am from out of town we also enjoyed staying at Seton Hall.  I had a middle fossa too and thankful everyday for having it done at St. Vincent by House Doctors.  World class care is what you should expect.  My best to you all!  Craig
.7 x .6 x .5 cm left middle fossa approach 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side before 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side after 2/26/14
No evidence of malignancy
Bell's Palsy left side 15 years before 2014