Author Topic: makeup tips  (Read 3431 times)

Karen

makeup tips
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:26:34 pm »
Any women have eye makeup tips for the paralized side.  I had the 12/7 done but my eye is smaller because the plastic eye surgeon took a stitch  in the corner.  i dont have feeling in the eye either.  also under that eye is kind of puffy.  the eye doctor said its because of the sagging.  any ideas for makeup?
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Hokiegal

Re: makeup tips
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 02:33:33 pm »
Hi Karen, since the surgery I've been pretty wimpy when it comes to using eye makeup, because the eye on the AN side doesn't blink or tear normally. But when I do use makeup, I use a good-quality mineral-based eyeshadow.  It goes on a lot creamier than other types, and I feel there's much less chance of getting specks of it in my eye that could cause problems (like I said, wimpy, but I want to protect that eye!)  I found that a creme-based eyelid primer also helps -- the eyeshadow stays pretty much intact.  Same with foundation -- it comes in a powder form, but goes on creamy and stays in place.  I have used eyeliner, but no mascara -- I have really long lashes and to me, mascara's just too risky.  Don't know if that helps or not, but feel free to PM me if you'd like the brand I use.

Mary
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

Kristena

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:59:07 pm »
Interesting topic (I think)! About the only thing I've done is "draw in" some eyebrows on the top of the droopy side to make my eyebrow seem just a tad bit higher. It probably only adds about 2mm, but I can tell the difference. I also remember putting on my lipstick just a tiny bit outside the line on the thinner side at first, but my lips have filled out a bit more. I haven't really found any tricks with my eyes. I've been using using mascara and eye liner since I went back to work. I just try my best to make them look equal.

On a similar note, what is everyone's feeling about which side to part their hair (or wear bangs)? After my surgery and the recent Baha surgery, I've been parting it on the good side to have the most hair coverage on the shaved side. But I was starting to wear it parted on the affected side when my hair grew out. Hides the wrinkled side of my forehead, shows off the unwrinkled side, and maybe a bit of an optical illusion that my eye wasn't so droopy? Thoughts?
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

elsie

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:06:54 am »
Hi, Karen,

Wish we could post pictures here...I have worn full make-up since my surgery 26 years ago - right side was fully paralyzed for about 9 months, also had a tarsorrhaphy for my dry eye and still need to apply ointment several times during the day.  I wear mascara, eye shadow and liner (liquid, under eye only, works best - a lighter shade narrowly applied looks more natural).  I didn't do eye make-up until the tarsorrhaphy was fully healed and with my opthamologist's (he worked very closely with my surgeons on AN eye aftercare) full blessing.  My eye still doesn't blink on its own, but I have never had any issues.  My eye always passes my annual exams with flying colors.  Only issue is applying the ointment with care so it stays put and doesn't smear under my eye.  doesn't disturb make-up, but is not exactly a great look.

Kristina, I wear bangs now and keep them a little longer an swoopier on my AN - helps to hide some of my residual facial weakness and tarsorrhaphy eye differences.

Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed