Author Topic: Did Anyone Have A Tumor That Was Not Seen In an MRI  (Read 5225 times)

baglin112

Did Anyone Have A Tumor That Was Not Seen In an MRI
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:19:56 am »
I am oversees and had an MRI done in a local hospital and I am not sure if they are familiar with Acoustic Neuromas.  All of my symptoms go along with Acoustic Neuroma but they say my brain looks good.  Has anyone every been told they did not have an Acoustic Neuroma and then find out that you actually did?

(for some reason it will not let me do a normal reply?)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses!  The MRI was done with contrast and when I went through the disc I saw several photos that had hyperintensities in the area of the auditory nerve (comparing it to other MRIs that were found to be postive for AN).  I'm planning on sending my results back to the states to have a second opinion done.  I'm hoping that it is nothing but I feel like there is something wrong. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:05:12 am by baglin112 »

bamagal

Re: Did Anyone Have A Tumor That Was Not Seen In an MRI
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:48:33 pm »
Yes, my AN was so small it was missed on my first MRI in 2008. I continued to have symptoms which became more pronounced this year. I had another MRI in April. This time I was diagnosed with a 3mm AN in the IAC. I was told by a neurosurgeon that the MRI slices (individual pictures) have to be very small to pick up smaller tumors. Also the MRI has to be done with contrast to see them. I hope you get some answers about your symptoms. I know it is very frustrating not knowing what is wrong.   

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:08 am »
Hi baglin112 and welcome .....

First question I have is:  was the MRI done with contrast?  Many times a small AN cannot be detected without the use of contrast material during the MRI.

I had a non-contrast MRI read as negative for any abnormality.  14 months later a subsequent MRI with contrast revealed a 2.0+ cm acoustic neuroma.

Symptoms can vary greatly with the diagnosis of an AN, from no symptoms to hearing loss/balance difficulties/headaches, etc.  Unfortunately many AN symptoms can also be attributed to other medical conditions, such as labyrinthitis or Meniere's Disease.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

gracey79

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:53:41 pm »
This may have happened to me. I had an MRI done when I was in my mid 20's, they found nothing late 20's and I developed ringing in years and diagnosed hearing loss. Age 35 diagnosed AN right ear 2.0x2.4x1.7.  I second the question about contrast dye.  My previous MRI was done at another facility and I cannot recall if they used dye but I don't believe they did.  I am eager to see the scan when it gets sent to the new hospital. I am praying for you, that it is not an AN or anything that would be serious. I would stay on top of the Dr.s though, we know our bodies better than anyone else, breath a little easier knowing that even if they did not use dye, the AN would more than likely be on the small side and easier to deal with.
Diagnosed 2014 a while after mom was also diagnosed with a slightly smaller AN on opposite side(we are not NF2)
4/14   2.0x2.4x1.7
10/14 1.6x2.2x1.5
6/15   1.5x2.9x1.6
8/16   2.8x2.2x1.5
Watch and wait may be prepping for surgery soon 6/17?
Mom of 5
16,12,5,3, 8m

michelej

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
I had an MRI in 2011. Showed normal. I saw an ENT who said I had reflux. I spent the next two and a half years taking prevacid that I did not need. My hearing kept getting worse in one ear so I went to a different ENT. I had another MRI and found the AN of 19-20 mm. I asked him to look at the other scan and it was present back then and it showed that the Dr. missed it. I could see it on the old scan myself.  It had grown 7 cm in those three years and now my hearing is almost gone. I am going to have translab procedure next Thurs. I am not very happy with the Dr. that read my first one. I lost options with waiting those three years. I feel fine except for the tinnitus and sometimes I am off balance but then again I have never been very coordinated :-). Hoping for good results. Good luck. Get another opinion for sure!