Author Topic: Post-Op MRI  (Read 3434 times)

Boxer Mooch

Post-Op MRI
« on: September 03, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »
I had translab May 6. During the surgery my doctor put a titanium mesh plate in my head.
I am having an MRI Friday. Does the titanium mesh present a problem? I imagine it'll show up as a square on the imaging but do I have any reason to be concerned?

Pardon my ignorance in advance.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Post-Op MRI
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:18:11 pm »
Hi there .....

The titanium mesh in your head should be fine for an MRI.  There was a whole thread regarding this a number of years ago.  See:  https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=7800.0

I have a skull full of titanium mesh, screws, and an abutment and have had numerous MRIs (even on the strong Tesla 3 machine with no problems).

Just be sure to tell the technician that you have had a craniotomy that was repaired with titanium mesh.  However, I don't think the titanium mesh even shows up on the MRI ..... at least not enough to interfere with an accurate reading.

Thoughts and prayers.  Let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Still standing

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:51 pm »
Hi,
I also have the mesh and screws, I have had numerous post op MRI's and they present no problems.
The machines at the airport don't usually detect them either.  :)
I agree, mention it to your MRI tech, that way they can reassure you as well.
Breathe.
3cm AN diagnosed July 2012 brain stem compression/significant hearing loss
Translab Aug 2012, Presbyterian Hosp with Dr.'s Horn and Metzger
6mm AN post op Gamma Knife April 2013
Deaf on rt.side, pressure, numbness, tingling, fatigue, cheek and eye tightness

Boxer Mooch

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:54 am »
Thank you both.

The MRI revealed no re-growth although it has only been four months. However, there was some fluid where the incision and tumor were. The doctors did not seem alarmed by it since I have not had any CSF leakage and there was no fluid in my ear.
This honestly makes me uneasy, but they seemed fine with telling me to come back in a year and not have another MRI for five years. The surgeon was confident he removed the entire tumor.

Anyone else have a situation like this?

Still standing

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:46:04 pm »
Hi,
No MRI for 5years? I realize that all of our circumstances are different, so I can only tell you that my neurosurgeon orders an MRI every 6 months post op and both he and my neurotologist read it. I only see my neuro's once a year, but saw them both 1 month and 6 month post op.
I don't know about the fluid, and if they say don't worry then I guess don't. But, what do your instincts tell you? Second opinion maybe? I would be curious to see if the fluid is gone. Do you notice any changes?
For whatever it's worth, B
3cm AN diagnosed July 2012 brain stem compression/significant hearing loss
Translab Aug 2012, Presbyterian Hosp with Dr.'s Horn and Metzger
6mm AN post op Gamma Knife April 2013
Deaf on rt.side, pressure, numbness, tingling, fatigue, cheek and eye tightness

Boxer Mooch

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 10:39:42 am »
I do not notice any changes. I am doing well. The surgeon and doctor were both confident that they removed everything. My gut tells me to trust them as they have been correct in everything they have shared.

I expressed my desire to have another MRI sooner than five years, so I am thinking in 2-3 years. We'll see.

Thanks for your responses.