Author Topic: Blood Clots in Leg 10 days Post-Op  (Read 4085 times)

jlbriggs

Blood Clots in Leg 10 days Post-Op
« on: September 21, 2006, 07:40:43 pm »
Hello All,

I am new here.  My father just had an AN removed on Sept 11th at Mayo in Rochester.  He is having massive muscle cramping in the legs and just found out that he has a blood clot in the leg (ankle is broken in that leg).  He went to a small town hospital for a doppler and they told him to go home with his leg elevated for the night and return in the morning to be admitted.  I am very nervous about this because since he just 10 days Post-Op I don't think he can take the blood thinners.  I did some research and found out that they can put a metal "umbrella" in his vena cava to catch the clot. 

Has anyone else had issues with this?  If so what did the doctors do?  We are back in Iowa now and I am a little nervous about their expertise!  Only one Doc in Iowa knows how to do the AN surgery....that is why we went to Mayo! 

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jeanlea

Re: Blood Clots in Leg 10 days Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 08:05:49 pm »
Hi Jennifer,

I had a similar problem.  I was 23 days post-op and ended up back in the hospital with blood clots in my lungs.  My leg felt cramped before that.  I saw a doctor and my physical therapist before that and mentioned the pain.  They both looked for swelling in my ankles which I didn't have so they didn't think I had a blood clot.  Then I developed a sharp pain in my side and went to the emergency room.  They gave me a CAT scan, said I had pulmonary embollisms (blood clots) and put me in a room on blood thinners.  I spent five days there.  I was on blood thinnners for the next four months.  No more problems now. 
Maybe it's different when the clot is in the leg.  I would call your dad's AN doctor and get his/her opinion.  The doctors in the emergency room contacted my AN doctor before they treated me to make sure it was okay.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

jlbriggs

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:16:50 pm »
Thanks Jean,

I read about someone else below that had clots.  My only concern is I don't think he is suppose to start the blood thinners until two weeks post-op.....almost there so maybe that doesn't matter.  I will tell you this, after seeing what other patients were going through with cancerous tumors at Mayo I feel we are SO very BLESSED! 

The other thing my dad is having major issues with is biting chunks out of his lip and cheek while eating.  Any suggestions on this? He still does not have the feeling in that side and his eye does not close all the way when he blinks.  Unfortuately they were not able to save his hearing in that ear either.  We are just concerned that he may get an infection from the biting problem...the poor man is hungry!!!  We can't feed him soup his whole life!!  ;D  Suggestions?
Jennifer

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:01:25 pm »
Hi Jennifer,

Gee, your dad and I have a lot in common.   :-\  I also have a numb cheek.  I started out biting my lip and the inside of my cheek.  You develop the ability to stop doing that after awhile.  I'm not quite sure how I did it.  Lots of practice with eating I guess.  lol 

Hope the blood clot issue is getting better.  I understand feeling blessed.  I found out about my tumor last August and had surgery in September.  The previous April my husband's aunt died from another type of brain tumor, my father in law died after a long battle with Parkinson's in November, and this past January my husband's uncle had a stroke. 

Hope your dad is feeling better.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

MLB57

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 09:43:49 pm »
Hi Jennifer--I had a 1 cm rtr AN removed Jan 2001--after surgery, until I left 5 days later I had these kinda balloon things--one on each leg--that would inflate periodically to keep my circulation okay and prevent blood clots. I was fortuante post-op--no complications. BUt I do remember in the first few months after surgery having trouble eating as food would get into that side of my throat and sometimes I'd almost gag as I did not have alot of sensation there. Five yearrs later I still have to be careful somewhat (oh I can eat okay now--I don't mean to worry you) as sometimes it still happens if I am not paying attention to what I'm eating. Have your dad keep chewing his food on the other side until he gets enough sensation back on the other side. It could take several months or longer. Regards, Mary from MA :o
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 10:02:46 pm »
Jennifer,

For years I have "bitten chunks out of my cheeks".  Ask your Dad to rinse the mouth in warm salt water solution and it will heal by morning.  Oral sores heal quickly as long as the dental hygeine is kept up to date. 

I understand that he might not like to eat soft foods and soups forever, but he can get enough nutrition from such foods for now.  Eating anything that requires much chewing and shifting around in the mouth can be difficult with a numb tongue and cheek.  This won't last forever.  It is important for your Dad to know that this phase of his recovery will pass soon.  Help him to remain positive about that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:06:29 pm by Boppie »

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 02:33:51 pm »
Another thing to remember when eating with a numb mouth is to take small bites.  Having less food to deal with at a time keeps you from biting yourself so much.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD