Author Topic: 2 Year Update and Question  (Read 2563 times)

kmr1969

2 Year Update and Question
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:15:09 am »
Hello all fellow ANers and fellow post

Not sure exactly where I fall in that category, but 2 years post surgery, I am doing well.

Still have SSD (obviously), tinnitus, and a fair amount of numbness of that side of my face, but my face "works" almost 100% normally, although it doesn't feel normal.

All and all, not bad.

A small scrap of the tumor was left behind to avoid damage to my facial nerve and my 1 year and 2 year post surgery MRIs show that it hasn't changed at all.

Good news, but I was hoping the little bugger would just disappear.

Still, I am thankful for how well I am doing and hope for more uninteresting MRIs in the future.

Does anyone have a history on having a scrap left behind and how many years out before you can put this thing out of your mind (pun intended) or should I just prepare myself for yearly MRIs for the rest of my life?

Hope all are well and happy new year!

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 2 Year Update and Question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:53:42 am »
Hi Ken .....

It sounds like you are doing well.  That is great!!

Every doctor has a different protocol regarding post-op MRIs so I would check with your doctor on that.

Following my first AN surgery I was told the tumor was entirely removed.  First post-op MRI at six months out showed "scar tissue" in the surgical area.  Second MRI was at one year out, still "scar tissue."  Went to yearly MRIs and at three years out the "scar tissue" became a 1.3 cm regrown tumor.  Following second surgery (different surgeon), Dr. Friedman said we would do an MRI at one year and if clear, at 5 years, if clear then no more needed.  Alas, there is a tiny spot of concern so I am still needing MRIs until he is satisfied that it is not changing.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: 2 Year Update and Question
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:40:34 pm »
should I just prepare myself for yearly MRIs for the rest of my life?

We who are recovering from ANs are akin to drug addicts and alcoholics. We will be in recovery for the rest of our lives.

Enough members have experienced regrowth to warrant eternal vigilance when it comes to the little buggers.

Now that you have two annuals with no change consider moving the next MRI out to 18 months (after discussing with your doctor, of course) and maybe further apart for future MRIs.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0