Author Topic: Asking for any good news and prognosis  (Read 5846 times)

biker01red

Asking for any good news and prognosis
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:55:08 am »

I am a new member of the forum, just today. I have always been a very active person, eat right, etc. I have done 5 miles on the treadmill three days a week for many years. Fast walk with incline program. I have always been an avid motorcyclist, averaging 22,000 miles per year, have travelled to 49 states, most of them more than once.
Three years ago I was diagnosed with an AN in my left inner ear, was referred to ENT surgeon, Dr Myles Pensak at University of Cincinnati Hospital. The first two years he just monitored the tumor with an annual MRI. The third MRI January 2014 indicated the tumor was growing, was at 1.7cm, recommended surgery, said I was an excellent candidate, was in good health, not over weight, etc. This was the first time I have ever had a serious illness of any kind. He also selected neurosurgeon, Dr Zucarrello with UC Hospital, the two of them have worked together over 33 years, considered one of the top five in the nation, so I was told. I was told by both surgeons prior to surgery there was no question, I would be back on the motorcycle within six months. It is my passion, it keeps me sane !!!!
March 18th, 2014 I had the five hour surgery, was told the tumor was 100% removed, they spent over two hours disecting the tumor from my facial nerve, during and after surgery the nerves were monitored and my facial nerve was "pristine"....their adjective..... After surgery the left side of my face and head were completely paralyzed, my left eye was open wide, i could not close it, my mouth was severely drawn. The first day I was in ICU, then step-down ICU.. On the fourth day after surgery, I was to be discharged. That morning I had a fluid drip from my left nostril, told the RN about it, she got a gauze for me to drip on, said she would have it checked. Then a nurse practitioner came in with my discharge instructions, the RN and I told her about the dripping, she said it was normal and sent me home. The leak continued, I called everyday, they gave me the same nurse practitioner that said it was normal. On the ninth day, just like the flip of a switch I got severe head pains, sick at my stomach, called the neurosurgeon, said to get to the emergency room, 84 miles from my home. When I got there I didn't remember the first two days, I had a cranial fluid leak and had developed a meningitis infection. On April 8th the surgery was repeated and muscle grafted from my neck to seal the area where the tumor had been located. In the hospital eleven days, lost 21 pounds... When I finally got home, I was so weak I needed help to get into the house. We had to put drops in my eye every hour and ointment every 2 hours, the pain was unreal. Now over 10 months since the surgeries, I have had 13 sessions of vestibular therapy and 28 sessions of speech therapy with application of electrodes on my face to stimulate nerves. I can now close my eye and blink normally, my mouth is back to normal so I can now eat normally. I still have numbness in the left side of my face, and complete numbness in the left side of my head. I lost 100% of hearing on the left side, have continuous balance issues, dizziness, and 24/7 hurting in my neck... I have not been able to get back on the motorcycle since the surgery, am miserable all the time. I cannot do anything because of the equilibrium issues....I am losing hope and depression getting worse. I am back to doing the treadmill as before three days a week, just to keep moving and sane !!!  The surgeons continue to tell me I will have a full recovery !!!!! At this point I have totally lost confidence and believe they are telling me what they think I want to hear.... I am sending this message so others can be aware all is not roses !!!! I go back to UC Hospital again April 23rd for another MRI and follow-up with both surgeons....I am fearing the worse !!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.7cm AN removed Suboccipital Craniotomy approach on March 18 2014 at the University of Cincinnati Health Center.
Surgery repeated April 8, 2014 result of cranial fluid leak and meningitis infection
Dr. Myles Pensak and Dr. Mario Zuccarello
SSD; Right side facial & head paralysis; balance issues

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Asking for any good news and prognosis
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:22:55 am »
Hi biker01red and welcome to this forum .....

I hope you can read some of the positive post-op comments and skip the negative ones.  You have, indeed, been through a worst-case scenario.  The positive is that you are doing amazingly well now, considering the bumpy ride.

Please take hope that things will continue to improve more rapidly now.  As many of can say, the recovery is a steady, slow progress and patience is a virtue.  Our human nature wants everything to be all better, right now!

I have a good friend (actually from this forum) who had his AN surgically removed, who is an avid biker and back riding.  He has not been on the forum for awhile so I am going to email him to check your post.  I know he will be able to give you some honest feedback and much encouragement.

Hang in there!  Thoughts and prayers .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

biker01red

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:22:26 am »
Thank you very much for your comments. I will be anxious to hear from your biker friend !!!!!
1.7cm AN removed Suboccipital Craniotomy approach on March 18 2014 at the University of Cincinnati Health Center.
Surgery repeated April 8, 2014 result of cranial fluid leak and meningitis infection

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:08:49 pm »
The way it was explained to me, by my Doc, the balance issues pretty much have to resolve themselves.  Your balance nerve has been removed on one side.  It takes time for your brain to adjust, but at some point it should and then your balance will be good.  It won't be what it was when you were a kid, but it will be good.  It shouldn't take this long for your brain to adjust and I would seriously consider finding new doctors to speak with.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

biker01red

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:08:47 pm »
I sincerely wish you the best as you are monitoring the AN.....
After my original diagnosis, mine was 1.2cm, was monitored with annual MRI's for 2 years with no change in size. Then the third year MRI, January 2014 size had increased to 1.7cm....my first surgery was done March 18, 2014.....

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:56:17 pm »
Hi Biker01Red:

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time, but I think some of us have to be super patient with our recovery.  I was told it could be two years before I start to feel "normal" again.  One thing I get from reading this forum is that no one story seems to be typical.  I'll hang-in there and hope for the best--in time, with you.  I too am active and live in a hiker's paradise, yet walking down the block can be a chore.  I will not give-up yet, because I insist on getting back out in the wilderness and I'm sure you feel the same way about getting back on your bike.

If you ride through Scenic Highway 12 in southern Utah, look me up and we'll look back at this time as an accomplishment in patience.
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

biker01red

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:33:06 am »
Hello Mimispree...
Thanks for your comments - and like you, No, I am not giving up.....I am definitely hoping to get better, and I will be back on the bike again......
Believe it or not, I have rode Scenic Highway 12 thru Utah two different times....in 2004 and again in 2013......beautiful area.....also visited the National Parks....
I have made myself a note of your Username......if I am able to ride back to the area, I will definitely send you a message.....chatting with someone that has been thru this same issue is a great morale  booster !!!!!!
Don (biker01red)

ANGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »
It sounds like you have a great goal of getting saddled up and carving those canyons.  I rode my Sportster through I-15 back in the late 80's and even the Interstate is beautiful!  My wife and I took the long way back to Vegas from the North Rim through Zion on our honeymoon back in '02 and even just passing through, and having to concentrate on the road, it was breathtaking.  And that was in a stinky rent-a-car!
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

biker01red

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 07:48:31 am »
ANGuy,
Sounds great !!!
I have done many annual rides in the west, I have been thru many National Parks, so much to see..
Pictures cannot capture how vast it is....
Hope to god I will be doing it again !!!!!!

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 11:54:39 am »
I moved to Escalante, Utah in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument three years ago.  Unfortunately, I gave-up motorcycles before moving here.  The stretches between Escalante and Bryce Canyon on one side and Capitol Reef on the other is spectacular. 

Biker01Red, if you came through Escalante in 2013, I may have met you at the Escalante Outfitters.  It's a popular biker stop and I was working there in 2013.

Happy Trails!
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

NYLady

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 12:07:27 pm »
Hello Biker Red...

You sure have been through a lot!  While I dont have a surgical war story to share with you, I cerainly can identify with your balance and dizziness issue.  I had Gamma Knife in July of 2014.  Right after I felt really great....like a new woman.  However about three months post treatment, balance started to get significantly worse (walking slower and feeling like I had to hold on to something to steady myself) got dizzy on getting up out of a chair.  My hearing started getting worse not only in my AN ear, but also in my "good" ear.  And, of course, the tinnitus, which is slightly louder and more constant.  I am told with Gamma Knife, there is a period of about two years  (particularly after first three months) where the tumor swells and symptoms increase.  Thought I had escaped, but my doctors warned me prior to treatment that this could happen.  You will find in reading this forum that while we all have a different experience, we share a commonality of symptoms.  It is discouraging not to be able to do what we did before, but I am sure it will get better, so I am hanging in there till it does.  I think as long as we do something  to help (which you have done), like the vestibular therapy, rest and yes, exercise to some degree, that helps us not feel so helpless and gives us a little more control of the situation and that, in turn helps with feeling down.  We are all entitled to have a pity party now and then, but what we dont want to do is "live" there.   You have some wonderful memories of beautiful trips and scenery.  Picture those when you are feeling down and also picture yourself on your bike again visiting other lovely places.  We may not get back exactly to where we were, but I believe that we will get better and learn to compensate for our shortcomings.  You sound like someone who knows how to enjoy life and there is so much to enjoy even now while we wait for better times.  Hang in there my friend....

Best to you,
NYL

biker01red

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 09:08:35 am »
Hi NYLady,

Thanks very much for your comments.......
I wish you all the best as well....!!!!!!

Don (biker01red)

LakeErie

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 10:57:13 pm »
Biker, I shared some of your surgery complications like balance problems. It took me 7 months from the day of surgery to walk without feeling like my head was moving around. I walked figure eights in a hallway so I could always touch something if I needed to. I progressed over time to the point where I had no problems at all with walking in that pattern. Then walking outside was a different story. But walking with head movements, right/left and up/down, soon restored some normal ability to walk. I still have numbness on the side of my head and in parts of my face more than three years from surgery, but I don't really notice it much anymore. My vocal cord and swallowing muscles took the longest to recover, about 16 months. They are not 100%, but work very well. We cannot heal faster than our bodies and brains allow us, but many of us do recover. I suspect you will, too, given enough time. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017