Author Topic: 3 weeks post-op - operation done in Germany (INI)  (Read 7519 times)

Tamarbm

3 weeks post-op - operation done in Germany (INI)
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:47:08 am »
Hi all,
I live in Israel and was diagnosed with AN in August 2015 (3 months ago).
My tumor was big (3.3 Cm X 2.4 Cm) and pushed parts of the brain, including the brain stem.
After doing a lot of research and consulting with people in this forum, I have decided to undergo the surgery in Europe.
I am now 3 weeks post-op and I my surgery was definitely a success.
I am posting this post for all my fellow Europeans who are searching for information about surgeons in Europe.
I underwent the surgery at the INI- International Neuroscience inst. in Hannover, Germany.
My surgeon was Prof. Helmut Bertalanffy who is not only a genius and one of the 3 best neurosurgeons in Europe, he is also a very warm and kind man who sees the person behind the patient.
I could not recommend him enough. He is really amazing.
The INI is a private hospital dedicated for brain surgeries, The concept behind this hospital is that once the surgery is over the rehab starts and lasts for 12 days until discharge.
I am now back in Israel, doing really good considering someone who just had a brain surgery 3 weeks ago.
In my case the surgery took about 10 hours. This hospital does the retrosigmoid approaoch with very successful results for almost all people.
I don't remember much about the first 72 hours but I hear the stories. Apparently I was in a lot of pain but after 72 hours things started to get better every day.
My facial nerve is intact which is just amazing and I lost only 50%  of my hearing on my left ear. I have no balance issues, no vertigo and most of the time now there is no pain.
My main problems are fatigue and weakness. Both are getting better every day. I sleep a lot and walk very slowly. I get tired easily so I try to take it easy and not push myself too much (which is hard for a mother of 3 kids).
The other issue is the double vision. The tumor was stuck to nerve no. 8 (or 7 ? or 6 ?) which moves the eye from side to side. They took the whole tumor out but the nerve was pushed so much it will take time for it to heal. It was not damaged so they are optimistic that things will go back to normal in time, but it might take weeks or months for both my eyes to "talk to each other".
I have an eye patch which I move from one eye to the other every 2 hours (I can read and write with one eye) and I do excises for my eyes. I started with 30% movement , now I have 80% on my left eye  so I guess its getting better.
Mostly, I am very grateful. For everyone who helped, for the doctors and the amazing staff in the INI, for my family and friends and for my surgery results which are much more then I ever expected.
I am starting now the recovery and healing and hope to go back to my normal life in a few months.
I would be more then happy to help anyone who lives in Europe and needs information or support.

alabamajane

Re: 3 weeks post-op - operation done in Germany (INI)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:01:53 pm »
Congratulations,, wonderful report which I am sure will be most helpful to those international patients.

Wishes for continued healing and recovery!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:47:49 pm »
Mazel Tov!  Thank you for posting your successful results.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 06:17:28 am »
Tamarbm,

I thought you were going to HOUSE Clinic and Dr. Schwartz in Los Angeles?

That's very good news that your surgery went well in Germany!

I can only imagine the big weight that must be off your shoulders, now that the anxiety must be significantly reduced.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

Tamarbm

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 11:11:50 pm »
Hi MCRUE,
You are right. I was about to go to HOUSE. I even had a surgery date planned. And then I talked to  some people in Israel and other countries in Europe and found out about the INI and Prof.Bertalanffy.
so after considering the difference between 16 hours flight and 4 hours flight, the amazing results that Prof. Bertlannfy has in all his patients and the ravings about the INI, I cancelled the surgery in HOUSE and went to Germany.
I am sure HOUSE is great, but I am happy there is also an option for the people who live "on the other side of the world".
Thank you all for replying. This is a great forum.
Tamar
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:15:01 pm by Tamarbm »

v357139

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 09:18:30 pm »
Hi Tam.  Thank you for sharing.  The forum always needs a great story like yours.  And people need to know of this great option in Germany.  That's what it's all about, finding the best option for you.  God Bless.
Rich 
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:10:12 pm »
Tam, I can chime in. I was in INI Hannover 7 years ago and I was very happy with the care I received! I am glad to see you posting here. please keep me updated on how things go with the double vision. Hopefully it has improved since the last time we chatted!
Best wishes,
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co