Author Topic: Surgery scheduled  (Read 3469 times)

lisav

Surgery scheduled
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:56:24 pm »
I have scheduled my translab surgery for 2-22-2016 with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen at Tampa General.  I can't say that I am excited but I also don't want the tumor to keep growing. It is reassuring to read all the positive outcomes from everyone. I am 47 years old but am in good shape, exercise, at a good weight so I am hoping that will help me with my recovery.

Was anyone able to go home from the hospital and take care of themselves right away? I have someone to come see me everyday and I really feel like that will be enough. My parents want to come and stay with me for a few days but I don't want that. We do better with shorter visits if you know what I mean.

I have my pre-op appointments on Feb. 4 so a lot of my questions will be answered then..................

I am glad that there are people who have been on  this journey and know how I feel..... because right now I am a mix of nervous, scared, glad to get this tumor out, and just trying to stay positive.

Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm
2nd MRI on 1-18-2016 now 2.20 cm
Translab scheduled for 2-22-16
Tampa General with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen.

bethtretrault

Re: Surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 05:17:04 pm »
lisav-I know i can  relate to the feeling of anxiety as you get closer. I was pretty anxious  as the surgery date got closer but I can say that I am glad the surgery is behind me now. I did have my sister stay with me for the first week and I really think you will need someone. That person can make sure you eat, help you move around (and do that walking), can make sure you take your medications at the right time and make sure you are progressing. You may not need someone with you for a week but at least those first few days. You will probably be sleeping alot so parental challenges may not be an issue-especially with all the napping you are likely to be doing! At an ANA Support Group meeting in Newport News VA I was told by someone that "it will be okay". And it really, really is. My surgery was 11/3/15. I have had some challenges but all in all I am feeling pretty well and very fortunate. Back to work on Monday for me (VA weather permitting). This AN journey is a life changing adventure for sure. Take care and good luck!
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

lisav

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 03:37:56 pm »
Thanks bethtretault. I appreciate the "you will be okay." I know I will be okay but hearing it from someone who has gone through it definitely helps. I live in southwest fl now but used to live in Cleveland so I have been through some blizzards for sure. Stay warm and stay safe!
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm
2nd MRI on 1-18-2016 now 2.20 cm
Translab scheduled for 2-22-16
Tampa General with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen.

JudithB

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 07:16:23 pm »
I had translab surgery on 10/28/2015 for removal of my 4.8mm AN.  I came home on a Friday evening and had my husband and daughter home over the weekend.  I was up, showered and dressed on Saturday morning. Tired, took naps throughout the day but got up and walked as much as possible.  (Felt like this for several weeks, although small improvements each day)  I did have a shower seat that I used for about 3 weeks and for the first week had someone nearby while I showered just in case.  Monday morning the family all left for work and I was home alone.  I had a walker at home and used it diligently for the first 2 weeks.  I didn't really feel like I needed the walker, but since I was alone didn't want to risk a fall.  Also, walking down our hallway I swerved and ran into the wall like a pin ball machine :)  The family thought that was hysterical!  I admit I got some giggles out of that as well...  I had a neighbor who popped in briefly a couple of days, just to make sure I felt okay.  We had A LOT of jello on hand, fresh fruit, sandwich makings really quick no fuss foods.  I had a small appetite and craved cold liquids.  Drank loads of water.

Each of us will be different in our recovery.  I had expected to use the walker for several weeks and then move to a cane for as much time as needed.  I never needed a cane.  I did use someone's arm while walking out and about for about a month.  I also thought I would drive after 2-3 weeks and instead it was 8 weeks before I felt comfortable enough to drive.  I am a bookkeeper and started back to modified work schedule mid December and full bore the first week of January.  Probably a little too soon for me.  This past week I have been REALLY tired and so now will cut back a little if my body is telling me to.

I have found this entire experience to feel quite surreal at times.  I am glad I did have surgery and look forward to continuing my recovery and discovering my "new normal".  Take the time that your body needs to heal.  Best wishes to you on your journey :)

2010 - tinnitus and start of gradual hearing loss left side
02/2015 - hearing test (non functional hearing left side) followed by contrast MRI and diagnosis of AN
10/28/2015 - translab surgery, complete tumor removal / Dr's Cueva and Mastrodimos
4.8mm left side, SSD