Author Topic: Left sided intra canalicular AN with 6 x 4 mm size, age 40 years, male  (Read 5170 times)

NVS

Hi, my husband (Age 40 Years) detected with left sided intra canalicular AN with 4.2 x 3.4 mm in its dimensions in Aug 2014. Audiometry showed moderate- severe mixed hearing loss in left ear. In right ear there was minimal-moderate SNHL. Doctor suggested to wait and watch with periodic audiometry and MRI tests.

In May 2015, MRI repeated and it showed small increase to 6.3 x 3.9 mm and audiomerty showed that in left ear profound mixed hearing loss and in right ear high frequency SNHL. ENT surgeon suggested a microsurgery (Translabyrinthine approach) but we decided to wait for some more time and repeated MRI again in Sept 2015, it showed 6 x 4 mm size of AN.  Audiometry reports were same as earlier.

Besides complete hearing loss in left ear, my husband doesn't have any other symptoms. We consulted several neurosurgeons and ENTs. The majority of them have suggested  to wait further and few of them suggested radiosugery. I will be thankful, if I will get a guidance to make a decision. I have one more doubt, since right ear is also showing hearing loss, is that due to NF2? But in MRI, there is nothing on right side.

Also I want to mention that initially Tinintus was there in the left ear but eventually it stopped.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Left sided intra canalicular AN with 6 x 4 mm size, age 40 years, male
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:08:01 pm »
Welcome. You'll get lots of knowledge and support here.

NF2 doesn't seem likely without anything showing up on the MRI on the other side.

I also have a high frequency deficiency in my good ear which is unrelated to the AN which rendered me deaf in my right ear.

At this point your husband is almost guaranteed to lose the hearing on the AN side regardless of treatment.

Small ANs tend to respond favorably to radiation, which is what I chose.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

NVS

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:55:43 pm »
Thank you for reply. As you said small acoustic neuromas tend to respond positively but thinking about the side effect (malignancy) we are not able to opt for the radiation treatment. At moment we are just going to wait and watch for 6 months, after that will repeat MRI. My husband is taking Homeopathic treatment for AN. Is there any reference for homeopathic treatment for AN?

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:43:47 am »
My husband is taking Homeopathic treatment for AN. Is there any reference for homeopathic treatment for AN?

You might wish to describe the specific homeopathic treatment in case other members have used it.

You can google the topic and I'm sure you'll find plenty of information about homeopathic treatment for ANs. My guess is that most of it will be snake oil at best, dangerous at worst.

Whatever homeopathic treatment your husband is spending money on I suggest you carefully research it as to it's efficacy and contra-indications.

One good place to learn about such things is:

http://www.quackwatch.org/

Another place to check out products and treatment is:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/

There are many other ways of getting information about products or treatment and I urge you to thoroughly investigate them.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

NVS

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:35:13 am »
Thank you for the reply. I will go through the websites.
Hoping for the best.

NVS

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:02:40 pm »
I have one doubt...Is there any corelation between the size of AN and intensity of tinitus?
Initially, my husband was having continuous tinitus in AN ear...in 7-8 months he had total hearing loss in the affected ear. Then afterwards his tinitus problem stopped. His AN is in intra auditory canal of left ear (6 mm x 4mm).
Is there any indication of tumour regression?