Author Topic: Home Care Needs?  (Read 2623 times)

Greece Lover

Home Care Needs?
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:44:06 am »
I'm scheduled for Middle Fossa approach on May 9.  I"m curious what kind of care is needed at home post-operatively.  Can my wife leave me for a few hours a day to go to work? Do people need a walker to help them get around?  I've heard conflicting things.  I"m curious to know how this has gone for others.  thanks!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

michellef08

Re: Home Care Needs?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:46:05 am »
Everyone's recovery is different but I had my mother-in-law stay with me the entire 6 weeks I was off work (mostly to pick up our 10 lbs dog who can't go up/down the stairs). I thought she would have to wait on me hand and foot - and I ended up taking care of her! I honestly didn't need her help with anything. As long as you take it easy - frequent naps and tons of couch time, you should be totally fine to be left for a few hours! I personally didn't need a walker at all the entire time. Although - I will caution that I was 27 at the time, so not really the average case.
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

caryawilson

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:41:48 am »
I had a long surgery and was out of work for 6.5 months, so I think my situation was on the upper end of recovery. However, I did not have many complications. I was in the hospital for four days, and the main responsibility of my girlfriend was to administer my medication (at night), food, walks and bathing (sounds like a dog..lol).. Note the first two weeks when I was home it was a stringent medication regime and so my girlfriend would be responsible for waking me in the middle of the night. I would then need someone to watch me when I walked around the block and have ample grapes in the refrigerator.

So yes.. She should be able to work. She may be tired since she will be on the evening medication shift

4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:14:52 pm »
I had a very long (32 hour) surgery and spent two weeks in neuroscience ICU. This is HIGHLY unusual. I could barely walk when I got home on Friday, but by Monday was left alone a few hours at a time. Back at work in 10 weeks. Every case is different.
Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.