Author Topic: So, After Surgery, How Long Did It Take.........  (Read 3621 times)

InnerGrace

So, After Surgery, How Long Did It Take.........
« on: July 04, 2016, 07:38:45 am »
... for the scab to completely fall off?  See.  Apparently, I always  have to have something to worry about.  I am 5 weeks out today.  There is a small  spot at the end of the top of the incision that is still scabbed over and seems to be hanging on pretty tight.  I will NOT pick at it!!!  However, I would really like it to be gone...lol  Is this normal for it to stick around for so long???    Happy 4th to yinz all!!!  :)
Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Symptoms:  Mild Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus, Mild Balance Problems, Possible Vision Issues, Some Vertigo.
Retromastoid Craniectomy 05/30/2016. UPMC Presby
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch
Left SSD. HB 6 Facial Paralysis.  Waiting for the nerves to wake up...

Greece Lover

Re: So, After Surgery, How Long Did It Take.........
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 10:40:11 am »
I can't really remember for certain.  I know I had stuff falling off there for quite a while!  I, too, did not pick.  It will fall on its own!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

dredfern

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:14:02 am »
Mine did hang around for a while but I think i was clean by 3 weeks.  Just hang under the shower a while and then wipe with the towel. It soon falls off. 
3.5cm Left side Acoustic neuroma
Translab' removal 1st June 2016
Very successful, no complications.

bethtretrault

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:29:50 am »
Mine took a long time. I remember being surprised when little pieces of dried skin continued to periodically shed. Actually I was kind of grossed out until I decided it was clean (I wash my hair everyday) just taking a VERY long time. We are talking months for the part covered by hair. It will fall off when it is ready.
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

bobw2829

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 04:51:03 pm »
I am also five weeks out of surgery and am experiencing the same thing. So if it makes you feel any better, we're both in the same boat.

InnerGrace

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 03:43:01 pm »
I had a little bit more fall off last night....lol  Just a little bit more to go!!!  Thank you.. it does make me feel better!!!!!   ;D
Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Symptoms:  Mild Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus, Mild Balance Problems, Possible Vision Issues, Some Vertigo.
Retromastoid Craniectomy 05/30/2016. UPMC Presby
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch
Left SSD. HB 6 Facial Paralysis.  Waiting for the nerves to wake up...

robertweeks

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »
Hi.  Yes, I had a tiny little nub at one end of the incision that hung around for months.  I did finally pick at it and it did finally go away, but I don't remember when.  It didn't hurt anything and was not a "problem". 

ppg01080

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:28:04 pm »
I'm 6 weeks post surgery and the scab grosses me out. I still have most of the scab still attached. The scab for the lumbar drain site just dropped off. When I went for my hearing test last week the nurse practitioner gently cleaned the incision to remove loose scab.