Author Topic: neuroma growth and hormone replacement therapy  (Read 2204 times)

mountain

neuroma growth and hormone replacement therapy
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:08:04 pm »
I am 55 years old. I have a 1.5 cm NA diagnosed about a year and a half ago and I'm in the "wait and see" category (no change).  I am told by my doctor that ANs are less likely to grow as people get older.  I am not taking hormone replacement therapy, but another Dr. is suggesting I start.  Has anyone heard if taking these hormones may start AN growth? ???

jamie

Re: neuroma growth and hormone replacement therapy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 04:28:42 pm »
There's alot of conflicting info out there on the subject, I don't think any conclusions have been drawn. As far as I know, progesterone, the pregnancy hormone is the one with the srongest possibility of causing growth. If it's a hormone replacement, and your levels are checked regularly and are within normal ranges, you shouldn't be in danger of speeding up growth I wouldn't think. I think it's more when the body is flooded with abnormal amounts of hormones that cause growth, like during pregnancy or maybe even anabolic steroid use that may be a problem. But I'm not a doctor, I'm just recalling info I've learned along the way. :)
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

mountain

Re: neuroma growth and hormone replacement therapy
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 03:10:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I guess there's no way to be sure.  If I find there is a chance of hormones starting growth, I definitely won't take them.