Author Topic: My BAHA day  (Read 3864 times)

ombrerose4

My BAHA day
« on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:33 pm »
Yay, today was my BAHA GOTCHA DAY! Everything went really well. (except for the increasing tinnitus ) :(  I went to class today with the BAHA and actually felt like a part of the class. I could hear and participate in conversations and in general just feel more a part of everything. My daughter said that when I was on the phone with her I didn't complain about her background noises (like her washing dishes). Usually she has to sit quietly while we are on the phone because the extracurricular noises are so loud to me-BUT NOT TODAY!

Tonight I am going to dinner with my friend in a noisy restaurant so we will see how that goes, but so far so good! ;D
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: My BAHA day
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:27 pm »
Lauren ~

Congratulations!  It's good to read your very positive experiences with your new BAHA.  Thanks for sharing them.  We'll all be looking forward to learning more as you continue to experience your much-improved hearing.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »
Lauren,

That is great news! I hope that things continue to go well with you and your new BAHA!!

Don't be discouraged if the noisy restaurant is still a bit difficult even with the BAHA -- position yourself at the table like you've probably already been doing post-SSD and pre-BAHA and I'll bet you'll notice an improvement! Let us know how it goes.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »
So the noisy restaurant wasn't terrible. I had trouble hearing the waiter, but was able to hear 98% of my friend's conversation despite the noise. But the coolest thing was when we were walking home and talking and all of a sudden I stopped because I realized she was on my ssd side but I heard everything she said. Amazing and very cool! ;D
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:28:02 pm »
Yay Congrats!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:56:16 pm »
Congrats on your BAHA Gotcha Day, Lauren  ;D

Sounds like you're having a great experience with your BP100 and I am SO thrilled to hear that!  (no pun intended)  ;)

I haven't had a chance to try setting #2 (noisy/crowded rooms) yet, but I'm anxious to see how the BP100 responds.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:32:12 pm »
Lauren,

Congratulations on having such a great BAHA gotcha day!    ;D ;D ;D  It's amazing what a difference it makes and how much it more normal it makes you feel.  I love my Divino, but would love to try the BP100.  Unfortunately my insurance won't cover another BAHA right now, so it will have to wait for a while.  In the meantime I can be happy hearing better with my Divino than I do with without it.  I hope you continue to be very happy and pleased with your new toy!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

another NY postie

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:19:35 pm »
Hi, Lauren....been meaning to check on you and am so HAPPY that you are so pleased with the Baha!!  Congrats!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 03:28:27 pm »
Are any of you Baha wearers living in Western Massachusetts or Upstate New York? I would love a referral to a Baha experienced doctor. Thanks.
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »
Julianne -

if you to to Cochlear's website www.cochlearamericas.com you'll find doctors who do BAHAs under "clinics".

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:16:00 am »
Lauren,  I may be a little late but congrats on Gotcha day.

Julianne,  Your best bet is to look at the site link Jan has provided for you.  Or you could ask for referral at your local hospital in your area.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 11:19:11 am »
Julianne -

my neurotologist who did my AN surgery also did my BAHA surgery.

Perhaps one of your AN surgeons also does the BAHA.

Jan

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 06:38:53 pm »
Jan,
I saw your photo on the Cochlear Community website. I just listened to the webinar that Cochlear presented on the Baha. The BP100 sounds like a nice step forward in quality from previous versions. Maybe my timing is right! I did find 2 doctors about an hour drive from my house. Thanks.

I am wondering about the sound quality and if you can understand voices in a noisy environment. I know the Baha wont cancel out all backround noise, but are voices clear enough to understand without turning my good ear around?
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 08:45:17 pm »
I am wondering about the sound quality and if you can understand voices in a noisy environment. I know the Baha wont cancel out all backround noise, but are voices clear enough to understand without turning my good ear around?

The sound quality of the BP100 is amazing, even better than my Divino; very smooth.

Since it has 12 channels - as opposed to the Divino's 2 - it actually has a place for all the background noise to go and yes, you can hear others on your "bad" side in crowded and noisy rooms without turning your head. 

Glad the webinar was helpful.  Cochlear is a great company and their Community is a great resource for those with hearing impairments.  There are many BAHA users and candidates there, as well as CI (Cochlear Implant) users and candidates. 

Jan