Author Topic: Diagoinsed with AN approx 2 cm  (Read 4341 times)

khakhar

Diagoinsed with AN approx 2 cm
« on: July 28, 2005, 03:46:57 pm »
I'm 40 years old and have been diagonised with AN approx 2cm. I have lost my hearing quite a bit on the left side. The neurosurgeon and ENT has suggested a surgery w/Translab approach where the hearing will be sacrificed on left side.
Can anyone suggest that this is the correct way of surgery, by researching I know there are other means that could save the hearing. Has anyone got back their lost hearing after the surgery? Is translab approach the most safest approach?

Thanks,
BK

cookiesecond

Re: Diagoinsed with AN approx 2 cm
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 06:27:20 pm »
I am having the translab approach next Tuesday. My doctor says this approach is easier on the doctor and patient. I do not have enough hearing to save. The approaches that save hearing usually take longer.The size and position of the tumor also help decide the method. I  have been told I have a 3cm tumor. Good luck in your research.
Take care ,
Lynn

matti

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:51:13 pm »
I had my AN removed in 1998, via  middle fossa. My surgeon felt this approach was best for me, because my hearing was perfect and this type of surgery would be best suited to preserve the hearing nerve. I unfortunetly ended up losing the hearing nerve because my tumor had wrapped itself around the nerve  and severly splayed the facial nerve. My doctor worked liked heck to save my facial nerve and he was successful. My tumor was 3.5cm.

Lynn - I will be thinking about you next week and I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Please Let us know how you are doing.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 07:12:14 pm »
Bk: Once the hearing is gone due to surgery it's gone for good...the nerves involved are cut. There are surgical techniques that allow for preservation of hearing  and if this is what is best for the patient THAT should be the consideration of the doctor not what is easiest for them. I would find a second opinion if your current doctor is not willing to consider your best outcome. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Goh

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 02:48:09 am »
Hi Khakhar, I opted for radiosurgery in June last year for a 2cm by 0.8cm AN on my left year. At that time my ENT doctor recommended translab surgery as all the hearing on my left ear was almost gone.  Aftter much research, I decided to go for radiosurgery (gamma knife). Things have gone quite well since then. Though there is no improvement in my hearing (no useful hearing) I am still able to hear noises from car honks, alarms etc.  If I had gone for the translab surgery all the hearing of my left ear would have been lost permanently.
                  In any event, I have just gone for a MRI scanning (post 1 year) and the AN has not grown thank goodness. My next MRI scan is next June.
                  I think you should consider all options carefully before you decide. Weigh all the pros and cons and decide based on your personal background.  Anyway all the best to you.
Goh LC
2cm by 1.8cm AN (left ear). Had Gamma Knife treatment on 4 June 2004 at the Singapore Gamma Knife Centre.

khakhar

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 06:22:57 am »
My doc is against Radiosurgery because he said there could be more risks like balance problems and damage to other nerves around it. I also don't have much useful hearing left on the left side, I can bearly hear the dial tone, I can't make out words when using the phone (I just feel that some one is talking but can't make out words).

Has anybody recovered their lost hearing after the surgery?

Thanks,
Bhavesh Khakhar

Mark

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 09:49:23 am »
Bhavesh,

I would suggest that your doc is very misinformed on radiosurgery and that you should discuss that particular treatment option with someone who performs it and understands it. I think most evidence out there would not support his assertions of balance and other nerve issues related to radiosurgery. It might be an interesting exercise for you to scroll back through the posts on this board and its archives . I think you'll find a larger number of post treatment balance and facial nerve issues related to surgery than radiosurgery from that sort of informal survey.
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Goh

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 10:41:22 pm »
Hi Khakhar,
              I agree with Mark. It is not true that radiosurgery attracts a higher likelihood of balancing problems etc as compared to surgery.  In fact it is the reverse in that the major advantage of radiosurgery is that it has lesser complications.  You should do more research on this and get proper advice.
               As far as your hearing loss is concerned, I had exactly the same problems as described by you.  After my gamma knife I went for a hearing test to determine the suitability of conventional hearing aids. But I was told that it was not possible as I was unable to distinguish speech.  My hearing loss after gammaknife is still the same.  No improvement nor deterioration.  But at least I can still hear loud noise (which I feel is still important). I am now functioning on one ear.  The only hearing aid available to me is the BAHA which I am not inclined to use at this point in time.
                Khakhar once the hearing is lost, I do not think that it will return whether it is treated with surgery or radiosurgery. We have to move on.  So I would advise that you consider both options available and make an informed decision.  There is no right or wrong answer here.  I wish you all the best and pray you will recover fast.
Goh
2cm by 1.8cm AN (left ear). Had Gamma Knife treatment on 4 June 2004 at the Singapore Gamma Knife Centre.

russ

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 06:33:15 pm »
Hi khakhar
  My guess is at 2.0 cm., your AN is too large for Middle Fossa, Ok for sub-occiptital and translab. I don't know how much hearing you are attempting to spare. That's important! Sometimes in Mid-Fossa and Subocciptital there is a sparing and rarely an improvement but oftentimes a further loss due to trauma of the auditory nerve.
  You are in the GK or FSR range, however.
  If this were my body and decision and already presenting with around a 50% hearing loss, I'd personally choose to get it over with and go translab.
  Best wishes for a best decision FOR YOU!
  Russ

bigdaddyd61

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 07:45:15 pm »
Hi Khakhar,
I had a 5cm AN removed in 1995.  Due to the size, I had no choice of the procedure and I lost all hearing on my left side since they had to remove my entire inner ear.  Mine also grew around my seventh nerve that contols facial function and caused some damage to the nerve.  I still do not have full facial function back even after ten years.

My advise is to have the recommended procedure as soon as possible, you may not get all of your hearing back but I have learned to adjust with no hearing in one ear.

You will be in my prayers.
Russ