Author Topic: Need information on CROS hearing aid.  (Read 2278 times)

Jsoule

Need information on CROS hearing aid.
« on: August 18, 2005, 05:59:29 pm »
Hello, I would like to know if anyone post surgery has tried the CROS hearing aid. Just wondering if it would help in resturants, loud places and define where sound comes from.   These tend to be the most difficult times. Thanks Julie

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Need information on CROS hearing aid.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 12:51:41 am »
Julie: I have them but don't use them anymore (broken and repaired many times, got used to living with the impairment). I found them useful to a certain extent, in crowds I found them frustrating, I could hear what was going on accross the room but couldn't hear the guy beside me). They take a long time to get used to so if you try them I would suggest you give yourself a good year to adjust and get them as soon as possible because the longer you go with deminished hearing the harder the adjustment will be. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

russ

Re: Need information on CROS hearing aid.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 09:01:07 pm »
Hi
  I've had two sets. I hated them!! First made by Telex and now Phonak make the FM signal Cros-overs.
  Widex Corporation makes a digital variety now. Starkey and Audabel offer 'wi-fi' systems similar to the digital cross by Widex.
  BAHA is best!! Maybe perform a search for this at the page top or Google the 'entific' site.
  I never noticed an increase in ability to localize sound direction though theoretically at least this should occur as there is a signal delay and slightly different sound in the Cros-over. Auds. like to sell the 'theory' sometimes.
  Best wishes whatever you do. I got very well used to one sided hearing.
  Russ