Author Topic: How long before going back to work?  (Read 3815 times)

Jeanlea

How long before going back to work?
« on: August 21, 2005, 08:50:04 pm »
I will be having surgery for my 3.5 AN on September 6th.  This Wednesday school begins for my students and me.  I teach kindergarteners.  I will have them for 7 days (due to the holiday) before my surgery.  Can anyone give me an idea of how long it may be before I am able to return to work?  I'm 42 and in great shape now (except for this tumor in my head).  I think I've already been experiencing some balance problems so I'm hoping that I have been learning to adapt already.  I thought the small balance problems I did have were a part of getting old.  :-) 
Thanks for any advice.  I know I will be eager to get back to my students. 
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

JHager

Re: How long before going back to work?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 09:31:58 pm »
Jeanlea,

I'm sorry I can't give you a good answer for you question - my appointment with my neurosurgeon is September 14.  However, I wanted to let you know I completely understand where you're coming from - I teach high school, and my students will be back on August 29.  I figure I probably have a month or so with them, and then it's surgery time for me.  (I have a 3 cm tumor.)

Like you, I'm in pretty good shape, and hoping that I can recover quickly.  From everything I've read, each case is unique: your tumor size, location, surgeon's skill, your body's ability to recover, etc., are unique to you.  Hopefully, all of these will align in your favor.

Good luck, and keep the faith.  Know that you have a Las Vegas teacher (two, actually - my wife teachers 3rd grade) on your side and pulling for you!

Josh Hager
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

gemaste

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 06:49:43 am »
I had my AN removed on Aug. 02 and I plan on going back to work on Sept. 19th.  I only have two small problems after 2 weeks.  Being deaf in one ear takes some getting use to and I am having some ringing in the deaf ear, otherwise recovering very well.  Bottem line I guess I would plan on 6 weeks.  Glenn

stein78

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 11:42:29 am »
I was out of work just over 4 weeks.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

matti

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 11:48:38 am »
I think you should give yourself 6 weeks, at least that's what I did and what was recommended by my doctors and other AN patients.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

luv2teachsped

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 06:40:01 pm »
Hi Jeanlea-  I am an elementary sped teacher, although I had my surgery May 18th of this year, my Dr. also recommended at least 6-8 weeks.  We agreed together that it was best to time it at the end of the school year so I could have the entire summer off.  I was also going through a nasty divorce, whigh just added to my stress.   I would think 6-8 weeks, But I am still having bouts of extreme fatique.We'll see how things go when my munchins arrive on Weds.  I'll be thinking of you on Sept. 6! luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

kristin

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 08:10:22 pm »
I took 6 weeks off, but really could have gone back to work after 4.
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 08:49:15 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your answers to my question.  I have been thinking I will be out of work about 5-7 weeks.  That seems to be realistic from what you've told me.  I met my students tonight at Open House.  The parents that I talked to are very supportive of me and my surgery.  That makes me feel better.  I'm glad it's been easier for me to handle this with my own children.  They are 12, 15, and 17 and are handling it very well.

Luv2teachsped, I will be interested to hear how it goes when you go back to teaching.  Best of luck to you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:42:03 am »
It is pruely an individual thing I think, in 1990 I was 23 and had a large tumor removed (it took 15 hours, I don't know measurements), I lost my hearing, balance and facial nerves, I was off work 3 1/2 months and then argued with my doc's to go back.....I really shouldn't have. I'm a nurse and thinking back if it wasn't for my co-workers picking up the slack and taking over certain duties for me something bad could have happened.....I just made rounds and talked to the patients, I didn't give out medication for sometime. My doctor can't say how long I'll be off this time (regrowth 5mm x 8mm), we'll see once it's done.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

rockymtngirl

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 07:59:08 am »
Everyone is different, so let your body be the guide as to how soon you should return to work. I was off for three months after having a 2.5 cm tumor removed.