Author Topic: visible disabilities v. non-visible disabilities  (Read 11635 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: visible disabilities v. non-visible disabilities
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 09:18:51 am »
Arushi,
That is one of my favorite shows!  When I tell people that I've had brain surgery, they look stunned.  They tell me how great I look and that they can see how well I've overcome it and I just nod and smile.  I've had such a hard time asking my doctor for a handicapped placard for my car and still haven't done it yet.  I'm afraid I'll get run over when I'm by myself and the one time I did tell the doctor about it, he just says make sure you look around really well.  I just let it go after that.  So now I just walk really close to the parked cars and keep my fingers crossed. 
~Karen

Tell your doctor you need to park in handicap when it's dark out.  This is the reason I got one so I wouldn't fall down when walking from the lot to work or restaurant if I were out in the evening.  Try again with your request for a "dee dee dee placard".  Maybe the doc needs for the patient to become seriously injured before he starts thinking "safety first"!  Splane it that way.  Good luck. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 09:32:05 am »
Arushi,
I've had such a hard time asking my doctor for a handicapped placard for my car and still haven't done it yet.  I'm afraid I'll get run over when I'm by myself and the one time I did tell the doctor about it, he just says make sure you look around really well.  I just let it go after that.  So now I just walk really close to the parked cars and keep my fingers crossed. 
~Karen
[/quote]

(Spoken with a fecicious {sp?} tone) Ask the doctor if he'll be more willing to give you the placard if you were injured in the parking lot.  Maybe then he'll believe you need to park closer! 

I got one because I felt I needed it more in the nighttime if I'm out teaching or dinner in the evening at a restaurant by myself!  IMO I feel I've been tortured enough from surgery, recovery process and SSD that I don't really feel like putting up with more torture (navigating a parking lot after one hour of looking around, bending, lifting, walking and blaring loud speakers) to finally have to "make sure you look around really well." if I don't have to.  Wow, how thought less they can be. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 05:28:52 pm »
Okay....I tried the one earring thing today.  Two people noticed, my therapists and my shrink!  The therapist had to think about the reasoning for almost the entire session and the shrink thought it was a "hoot".  They both thought it was my way of beginning a conversation about the jewelry I sell! I'll keep doing it and see what happens.........either people are going to speak to me on my earring side or I'm going to sell a bunch of jewelry.  I figure either way.....I win!!!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Static

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 05:39:20 pm »
Arushi,
Next time I go, I will do that!  I have had too many close calls at this point.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

lora

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 12:40:17 pm »
I feel blessed--my PCP gave me a placard as soon as I was diagnosed-no questions asked.  Although we have a "non-visible" disability--what about cardiac pts.  --you also cannot "see" their disability, but they have it just the same :)  Phyl--I got the book you mentioned--you are right--great book I would recommend.
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"