Author Topic: Arachnoid Lesions  (Read 3707 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Arachnoid Lesions
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:21:32 pm »
As I was filing away medical reports, etc. I re-read the operative report from my neurosurgeon and don't know why I never saw this before, but I blame my "foggy head" due to so close out of surgery.  He states they removed "multiple arachnoid lesions in the pontine fossa".  I am wondering what in the world these are?  Spiders in my skull?   ;)   But seriously, I am very curious as to what these are, has anyone else had them removed?
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Arachnoid Lesions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:32:10 pm »
Very interesting wording.

I, too, thought of spiders when I read your subject line. 

I have no clue what arachnoid lesions are, or if I had any  ???

I don't recall anything like this in my operative report and I just re-read it recently.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:52:36 pm »
Karen,

I have two AN reports now and I don't see anywhere these words. It must be spiders!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:23:36 pm »
Hi Arushi,

Here is some interesting data other than spiders---all I can come up with at the moment; I read online that Arachnoid cysts are benign space-occupying lesions containing CSF.......(do a check online surfing the Web and check with your surgical team for the proper answers to your questions)

Internal Auditory Canal and Cerebellopontine Angle

Acoustic Neuroma

Acoustic neuroma or vestibular schwannoma is the most common mass of the cerebellopontine angle.  It typically presents in the middle to late decades of life, and is usually unilateral.  Bilateral disease or disease early in life should lead to suspicion of neurofibromatosis, a diagnosis which has implications on the treatment of choice for these lesions.  Acoustic neuromas are benign masses.  These masses tend to grow slowly over several years, with growth rates commonly from 0.2 – 2 mm per year.  However, some tumors have been found to progress at rates up to 10 mm per year.  These lesions may also remain stable for multiple years with no signs of growth on long-term follow-up.  The masses themselves occur with equal frequency on the superior and inferior vestibular nerves.  Schwann cells are more numerous in the region of Scarpa’s ganglion, and as a result, more tumors are found near this location.  This is also why AN, as opposed to several other CPA masses, almost always has an intracanalicular component.  While the vestibular portion of the vestibulococlear nerve commonly is involved, the cochlear portion is rarely involved with tumor.  However, when the schwannoma arises from this nerve, the lesion may extend into the cochlea, due to the glial-schwann junction occurring distally at the modiolus. 

The radiologic features of acoustic neuroma have been well documented.  The anatomic location of the tumor is usually centered about the porus acousticus.  The tumors usually have an intracanalicular component, and may extend into the CPA.  Other lesions may arise completely within the CPA, and have no extension into the IAC.  These lesions may grow to a larger size before diagnosis due to their lack of compression of the nerves within the IAC.  Smaller lesions are becoming more common as new techniques for imaging are being found.  The range of size at diagnosis therefore varies from mere millimeters up to 6-8 centimeters.  As the tumors grow they generally enlarge the porus of the IAC.  Although the diameter of the IAC varies greatly from individual to individual, the diameter of the contralateral IAC has been found to be nearly equal in normal patients.  Therefore, an enlargement of the porus greater the 2 mm in comparison to the contralateral side is a relatively good predictor of AN.  Since the lesion commonly arises near the area of the porus and enlarges in a spherical fashion, it is considered a concentric mass.  Therefore, as the tumor enlarges, it will have acute angles to the remainder of the petrous portion of the temporal bone.  Masses such as meningiomas, which are eccentric and tend to spread along the petrous area will have obtuse angles.  Other features that may favor AN in the differential are: lesions rarely extend anteriorly and superiorly, they almost never penetrate into the middle cranial fossa, and they lack prominent vasculature, as well as dural tails.

CT scans of acoustic schwannomas tend to show the above features: a porus-centered mass, acute angles, IAC involvement.  They also demonstrate the homogeneous nature of the mass.  The majority of lesions, excluding previously treated tumors and very large tumors, will show uniform density on CT.  Calcifications and central necrosis are rare, however, central clearing has been noted in some larger lesions.  The density of AN on CT is similar to that of nearby brainstem, and more dense than surrounding CSF.  If given IV contrast, the tumor will most likely show homogeneous uptake and turn very bright.  Again, non-homogeneous uptake may be seen with previously treated lesions and large tumors. 

MRI is the study of choice if the diagnosis of AN is in question.  The T1 weighted exam with Gadolinium contrast has been shown not only to be 100% sensitive for the diagnosis of AN, but also to have the highest negative predictive value for the lesion as well.  On standard T1 images, the tumor should be relatively isointense to pons but more intense than CSF.  On T2 images, the lesion should be mildly brighter than pons, but darker than CSF.  After Gadolinium, the T1 sequence should show a very intense lesion, brighter than all other surrounding structures. 

Palace

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:36:57 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 09:30:32 pm »
Hi Arushi -

Well, it's quite possible you have spiders in there.  I know I have cobwebs in my brain...

What I remember from nursing school is that it's a layer of covering of the brain -  like the dura.  It's named arachnoid because I guess someone thought it looked like a spider web and didn't have anything better to call it.

That being said, I didn't have any mention of lesions on mine, so I can't offer any insight on what those might have been from.  The good news is - he took them out, right?  That sounds like a good thing.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Glenda

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:34:36 pm »
Hi Karen,
In googling (or in my case yahooing) this info I found the following site, sounds like it may be these cysts.  They appear to not be a problem unless they are growing but if you had them I'm sure your Dr thought it best to remove them while he was in there....Makes sense to me.  I am posting the URL below, hope it helps.  I would definitely call the dr if I had questions but sounds like you had a good dr who is looking out for you. 
Hope everything continues going well for you.

Glenda

http://www.thamburaj.com/cysts.htm
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

Betsy

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 07:52:22 am »
I found a similar term in my initial MRI; "arachnoid granulation".  I was told it was a sort of valve that allows CSF through without letting anything (ie blood, tequila, etc) back in.  The neurosurgeon I asked was somewhat dismissive about it, but he did say it wasn't anything to worry about.  I've had 3 MRIs since, and it wasn't mentioned again so I forgot about it until I saw this.

It's worth asking the doctor about next time you're in...let us know what you find out.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:03:40 am »
Thanks for the responses.  I read with interest Glenda's site and will get with the doctor later this month.  Kind of feel funny bringing this up to him three + years post surgery, but like I said before I didn't "read" this on my initial read of operative rpt.  My eyes were so "wonkly" then I seem to have missed "reading" alot of stuff, but thankfully my hubby was there to point these misses out.  Oh well, glad those days are over!  thanks again guys! 

You know Betsy I am suspicious about the "Don't worry about it" diagnosis as I spent almost 2 years listening to a few docs tell me the same when in fact there was something to worry about.  That's what got me back to Dr. Antonelli and my recent surgery.  Just looking for answers now to my "good" ear acting up and read that these cysts or lesions can cause tinnitus or hearing loss.  Which I have both. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

claire1

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 08:16:37 pm »
Arushi

I have an arachnoid cyst that is 2.5cm. I also have AN in my left ear.  I asked the Dr. about it and he didn't appear to be worried.  He said I could have had it since birth.  I've had MANY MRI of the brain and it has NEVER showed up until this past October 2007.  Yes, I am very worried but the AN takes a first seat.  If you find out anything else e-mail me please.
Thanks
Claire