Author Topic: metalic taste in mouth  (Read 10659 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
metalic taste in mouth
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:11:25 pm »
I was wondering do many of you find that the metalic taste in your mouth is more pronounced when you are tired?  The metalic taste is so strong today, mints haven't even been able to mask the taste.  Today is Sat, I've had no energy at all.  I managed to bake a New York cheese cake, clean the kitchen and do one lousy load of laundry.  Oh yeah I ironed my 20 yr old son's pants & shirt for his evening @ a club with his buddies.
My cheek feels like it is ready to explode and my face has been twitching all day.  Even behind my eye there is pressure.  Dizziness doesn't help matters either.  I'm blaming it on the weather, there is low pressure system and the fact that the work week was very busy.  Maybe being slightly nervous about the MRI I had yesterday is contributing factor. 
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Boppie

Re: metalic taste in mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:07:54 pm »
For many months after surgery I'd have bouts of metallic taste come up early in the morning and last all day.  These were days when I'd take more naps and try to eat soft and most favorite foods, like mashed potaoes, mild soups, puddings, and especially chocolate.  I avoided hot foods and spicy ones during this time. 

I remember announcing in the morning, "My tasebuds are a wreck today". 

Also, I found taste was off when I smelled strong fragrances.

Hang in there.  All of it goes away.    :)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:33:43 am »
Welcome to the Metal Mouth Club.  ;D
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:37:04 pm »
OH, THAT'S REALLY GROSSING ME OUT !!!!!    1ST I WAS GETTING NIGHTMARES FROM IXTA'S PREVIOUS PICS, ET TU BRUTE ???
  (I'll be sleeping with the lights ON tonight - THANKS GUYS)  (I'm having flashbacks of my 2 older brothers scaring me as a kid, ugh).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:38:35 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 12:46:52 pm »
Oh, that's funny!  Nancy Ann I saw the actor who was "Jaws" at a car show some years ago.  They interviewed him on local tv I think.  He is ginormous...but a gental giant.  One of those sweetie guys.

Maybe that will help ease the nightmares!!

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 01:07:03 pm »
Hey Sue - wasn't "JAWS" a great white shark???? (electrically motorized ??)  (hee hee)  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 04:44:12 pm »
Thanks Bruce!!!

Thank God we all have a sense of humour!!!  When I have that metallic taste in my mouth I'll be running to the mirror to make sure I do not look like "JAWS".  HMMMM maybe Bond, (Pierce Bronson), James Bond will come and save my day ;D

No Nancy "JAWS" was first a character from James Bond.  Shoot, I'm showing my age! :P

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 05:40:37 pm »
Eating onions sets off the metallic taste for a day or so.  The crazy part is maybe I am really tasting onions but my taste buds don't know it yet!  This seems too obvious but why metallic?

Well, off to the corner for a Snickers  That straightens it out.  I REMEMBER CHOCOLATE!!!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 05:47:28 pm »
Well I did find out today that if you are mixing up a batter and decide to add lemon oil as a flavoring enhancer and you accidently add too much and take a taste of it...then for several hours you will have a strong lemon flavor going on inside your mouth!  Not that I'm recommending this..... ;D

Then of course I had to start all over with the cake, go to the store because I didn't have enough yogurt, and take twice as long, probably more, to make this cake as it should have.  I didn't listen to that little voice this morning at the store that said, "buy more yogurt".  That's what I get for not listening to her.

*sigh*

Sue in Vancouver
PS   left out the lemon the second time around.  That's the original recipe anyway.

Google Glazed Lavendar Cake from Cooking Light.  Yum!
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

OTO

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 09:10:23 pm »
The funny taste in my mouth comes on when I'm tired at the end of the day... so dinner always taste funny...   the metallic taste has changed to a salty taste.  Last week I was eating some homebaked cookies...   I ate one, and all of a sudden the salty taste came out.  I thought maybe the person who baked the cookie hadn't mixed the dough properly and there was a clump of salt....   I kept eating more cookies to confirm ... thats when I realized the metallic taste had changed to a salty taste.... after a dozen cookies... the rest of the family still wonders where all the cookies went..

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 09:30:03 pm »
My metallic taste seems to follow no particular pattern.  Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.  At times certain food items taste normal, at other times they taste horrible.  The most consistent horrible taste I currently get is from microwave popcorn; it just tastes like highly salted styrofoam.

One good thing is that the metallic taste seems to be getting better over time.  It's not as prevalent as it was a few weeks ago; I think taking zinc helps.  I just wish it would go away completely.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 03:05:11 pm »
Anne Marie:

As an encouragement, I can tell you that I also experienced the infamous metallic taste in the weeks following my surgery and radiation.  However, it eventually subsided, for the most part.  I still have it on rare occasions - but I just ignore it.  My taste buds have pretty much returned to normal and I can usually overcome any weird tastes the small, remaining 'numb spots' on my tongue sometimes seem to produce. 

Keep in mind that - as 'Boppie' stated - this all goes away, in time. 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

justpens

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 06:55:25 am »
I had the metallic taste in my mouth after my first AN surgery (retro) for a few months, as well.  My second surgery for the same AN (trans lab) in July, and this time I have a sour taste.  Anyone ever have that taste?

justpens

Betsy

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 07:19:18 am »
No sour or metallic taste; mine was bitter.  It only happens just before I get a bad vertigo attack, and those (I'm hoping) are a thing of the past.  It's sort of like an early warning sign that tells me I better sit down or pull over before the world starts spinning.  That hasn't happened since the end of June and I'm really hoping that was the last one.  The numb tongue...well, that comes and goes.  I once introduced myself to someone when my tongue was numb...to this day, she thinks my name is "Essie".

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

lori78

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 01:52:42 pm »
I hadd the Metal Mouth for about three months, and remember the only thing that tasted right was dark chocolate!  Weird, but I don'tt remember if I felt it more when I was tired, I just remember being tired most of the time!!  :)  Hope it goes away, soon!
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07