Author Topic: Eye Problem  (Read 2310 times)

Jeanlea

Eye Problem
« on: September 20, 2005, 04:50:43 pm »
I had surgery two weeks ago.  I have some facial paralysis as a result of the surgery.  Does anyone hafve any advice on how soon I might be able to see well again?   My vision is blurry in the affected eye.  I have a gold weight in it now to help it close. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Desilu

Re: Eye Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 05:56:15 pm »
Hi Jean, I could not focus well on the side that had surgery for about 5 weeks. I am 8 weeks post surgery today. I finally stopped putting drops in my eye last week. My brother suggested to me to take Beta Carotene, and Bilberry plus Lutein supplements for my eye. I have been taking them for about 4 weeks now. Don't truly know if they are working or maybe the healing process just took over. Just a suggestion. Good Luck to you. Ann

HEI
4mm X 8 mm left AN
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger
July 26, 2005
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

luv2teachsped

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 07:23:11 pm »
Hi Jean!  WOW! I am impressed that you are online!  I had my surgery 4 months ago.  I use eye gel during the day and the thick lubricant at night.  I am wearing my contacts most of the time during the day, but find myself wearing my glasses when I notice my eye bothering me.  I still get blurred vison when my eyes are tired or dry.  I feel for me it is a small price to pay for everything else that "could have" happened.  Don't get too discouraged, you have a long way to go toward your healing!!  I am still finding that out!  My little guys at school wear me right out!   I have all I can do not to fall asleep as soon as I get home from school, and I still take naps on the weekend.  I have found myself backing out of many "volunteer" positions that I used to do.  Our bodies go through a lot during BRAIN SURGERY girl!!  Take Care, luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Terri

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 05:50:00 am »
Be sure to keep eye drops in your affected eye. Blurry vision is often caused by corneal dryness. If you only have partial facial paralysis, I'm betting your recovery wil be pretty fast. I had complete right-sided facial paralysis following surgery, and I didn't show any signs of recovery until 6 months after the operation. My 2-year anniversary is coming up, and I am just now regaining the ability to blink.

I'm not telling you this to discourage you; rather, I'm telling you this to encourage you to be patient. My AN may have cost me my hearing on the right, but it gave me back an appreciation for the truly wonderful things in life: smiling, blinking, and having great friends and coworkers who never let it show when you were having a particularly bad face day.  :)

Terri
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03
Mark Ercius & Michael Fucci