Author Topic: facial paralysis  (Read 4081 times)

Karen

facial paralysis
« on: September 29, 2005, 06:18:16 pm »
Does anyone have trouble with their face on the bad side being sensitive to touch and hurting at times  My trigeminal nerve was involved and I don't have feeling yet my face always is sensitive and feels like   i have been to the dentist and had a shot of novicane.  I had the 12/7 nerve graft done Jan. 2004.  Even my tongue feels funny on that side.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

jcinma

Re: facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 07:40:58 pm »
Hi Karen,
The side of my tongue is also numb and at times almost feels raw as tho it was burned by a hot beverage.  The side of my head where the incision was done is also numb but at the same time hypersensitive to touch.  My face has very minor weakness but there is a slight numbness to it also along with dry eye.  I am not complaining by any means but sometimes the numbness in my tongue makes it difficult for me to speak and I do feel self concious about that.
Jane
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 09:15:20 pm »
Karen, I have the same problem with my tumor side. My mouth is numb yet tingly and when I am tired or stressed the numbness gets worse. I have noticed that I get twitches in different spots on my face for a few days then I start getting tiny areas where the feeling seems to be returning...but, the feeling is like I am bruised. My neurosurgeon told me some of the tenderness around my sinus area is because of the dryness, kinda the same as with my eye. I also have a terrible time with my left side itching...grrrrrrrrrrr!
I keep telling myself that all of these things are a good sign that I am making progress.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

prittdgoat

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 09:37:17 am »
Hi Karen,  I have the same probllems as you.  I had my surgery on Jan 26,2005.  4cm on the right side.  I have problems controling my right hand too (luckily I'm left handed)  Even typing is hard for me. I try to do the things that are hardest for me and it is helping but progress is very slow.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 08:10:44 am »
If you having hand problems, that sounds like a stoke ...and me ...
you need to treat it as such .... the hand needs to re-learn how to type and other things it does, keep on practicing stuff .. it will come back. Not on its own .. by practice

Joe

4 cm removed
@ house
Aug 9, 2005
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

prittdgoat

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 01:53:01 pm »
So Joe,  My husband says that I seem like a persom that had a stroke too.  Doesn't someone else have this problem???   
Prittdgoat

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 05:11:21 pm »
Karen I had a 4cm AN removed in June 04 and I still have numbness and no feeling in my face and mouth. I have noticed a little more feeling in the last month or so. I can actually drink out of a glass and feel the glass. This has only happened in the last month. I find that the lack of feeling is one of those things that bothers me most. Who knew that "no feeling" would feel so odd??!! My trigeminal nerve was flattened by my tumor but according to the doc would be normal again.

I have noticed that when I take a hot bath my eye will water. How weird is that?
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Karen

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 09:28:55 pm »
Pembo, The numbness in my face really bothers me too. My nerve was supposed to come back too.  Does it feel all tight and stiff when you talk?  I have to take iubofrin to help sometimes, my ear even throbbs.  I wish there was something to take for the trigeminal nerve so it wouldn't feel so bad.  Have you found anything?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 08:44:09 am »
my AN was also 4cm !!.. seems like its the larger AN's that have the problem with the hands (my typing is getting better. but my writing still looks like a child)... I have seen other messages about hand but no one else talks about stoke .

Its been 2 months now since my surgery and did 3 classes of therypy, occupational, physical and speech ... physical and occupational (balance and hands) I'm done with!! its the speech I still have trouble with because of the lip function.  I plan to be back at house to get my BAHA on Nov 17 ... (I can't wait ....!!)

I too still have a lot of numbness on my cheek and around the eye  .. which I can live with, its the dry eye and drops that drive me crazy!!!

Joe
4 cm removed at house
Aug 9, 2005
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 08:50:44 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ckhegrat

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 06:47:08 am »
I was reading everyones comments and I wanted to share with you...I had a 2 x 5 cm AN removed in 1999.  After my surgery, I could not write.  My writing looked like scribble.  It took me about a good 6 months to be able to really write again so it could be read.  I did not have a stroke.  It was due to how the nerves were affected by the AN and the removeal of the tumor.

Kim

wanderer

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 08:33:41 am »
I experienced a little of this after surgery but as feeling returned the pain decreased and finally went away.

I also had this when I got hit in the face and had nerve damage.   I couldn't feel my face except for my tip of my lip which would feel like needles getting stabbed in it if lightly touched.    over six months my face became sensitive and then finally one day I noticed I had feeling back.

I took it as a good sign that it was healing (and that there was a possibility that it would heal.