Author Topic: speedy recovery  (Read 1780 times)

Clifton

speedy recovery
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:48:13 am »
I visited my otologist today for my first follow up and he said that i could actually return to work next week if i wanted.

my surgery was exactly 2 weeks ago. i thought that was incredible, everyone told me that i would be out for about 2 months or so.
I put my leave of absence in at work for 2 months, but im probably going to go back in 1 month putting my total time out at 6 weeks.

I am so blessed that there are no major complications and that i have bounced back as quickly as i have.
I am so glad that all of you are on here and have helped me really understand everything about what is going on with me and i hope that i can do the same for future ANers as well.

I guess the next month will just be relax time. Any suggestions from anyone about facial excercises? I do want my face to be back before i return to work so i am praying that it'll return in the next 4 weeks.

thank you all.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

satman

Re: speedy recovery
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 07:43:34 am »
Hi Clifton,It's awesome that your recovery is going so well,CONGRATS!
Did your DR. give you any exercises to do ?
I just do basic things, for example,I try to assist my cheek when I smile,basically pushing up the dead side when
I smile,or push my forhead up and down when making a frown [pissed off look] or open your eyes real wide and
push up[try to get the wrinkles back] someone might have some literature they can fax you,I hope some of that makes sense.
Enjoy your time off,you deserve some quality time ,as we all do after all this . I plan on doing a lot of fishing between now and
nov 5th, thats the day I plan on returning to work.If nobody can fax you info on facial exercises I can try to dig something up for you. Do you have a fax machine or the use of one ?let us know.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Ellenmn

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 07:45:43 am »
I'm glad that you are having such a speedy recovery. Just don't get disappointed if you have a few setbacks on occasion.
As for the facial nerve you will see improvement but don't count on it coming back that quickly. I was told mine could be 6 months to a year. It's 3 months now and it's better but a long way to go.
I was told to do exaggerated expressions and then my therapist told me to rub my face with different textures to simulate the senses. She said to put together a basket of different items and rub them on my face during a commercial. She mentioned fine sand paper pieces of different textured fabric, lofa sponge etc. Since I have been doing that I seem to be getting more results than before, I can’t say for sure if it’s just timing or if this is really working but I will continue to do it.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 08:44:07 am »
    Clifton,     Right now the facial nerve needs time to heal and the facial muscles will not work until the nerve is healed enough to make the muscles work.      Also one does not do any electrical stimulation.           Many of us who have been thru it understand how hard it is to wait.   
    There is a facial therapist who works out of Madison WI and in alot of cases she does not even want to see a pt until they are about a year post op as by then you have an idea of how it is going to show some recovery.                You wil hear stories of recovery after that time also.   
     There is a site for future reference which has been of help.       www.bellspalsy.ws         
For right now hang in there.                It took 3 1/2 months with my first surgery to have my face return.             I later  had another surgery for a facial neuroma and had a nerve grafted in and it took a good year for  improvement.               
      Good luck to you.                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 01:05:30 pm »
Youth is on your side, Clifton!  That is awesome that you are doing so well in your recovery.  Yes, rest. Nap. Take a stroll and enjoy the Fall leaves.  You are still healing.  Take it easy and enjoy your time off. 

So happy for you,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode