Author Topic: Back on steriods  (Read 1575 times)

crystallady

Back on steriods
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:09:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

trying to get some info or figure out whats going on.  I got steriotatic radiosurgery, one time shot, on 5/22.  Had an mri 3.5 months later and my AN showed signs of shrinkage and necrosis after such a short time.   ;D  :D  I have very little sides effects since the radiation until about 3 weeks ago.  Thats when my head felt like it was going to explode.  The pressure was/is all over my head but worse in the facial area.  I dont have a sinus infection and my oncologist said that he  has had patience have swelling months later.  Well, he put me on prednisone which I took for a week.  After I got off it, 24 hours later the pressure was back full swing and I couldnt work.  The prednisone takes the edge off but doesnt get rid of it and its  much worse than it ever was. He wants me on it for 6 weeks.  Has anyone experienced this or have to go back on steriods?  I really hope this a short term thing.

Cindy

jb

• My MRI sequence:
Re: Back on steriods
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:08:51 pm »
Hi Cindy,

I'm in a very similar situation to yours.  I'm only 5 weeks post CK though.  I had sudden hearing loss in my AN ear last week; it was the third time I've had it, but the first episode since CK.  I was put on 50 mg predisone for 5 days and then was supposed to taper off for 5 days.  My hearing improved, but as soon as I started the taper my hearing deteriorated again.  I went back to 50 mg and will check with the doc again on Monday.  Even though my hearing is better the fullness and tinnitus are worse than ever.  Arrghh!  I take my prednisone in the morning and some advil at night which seems to help a little.  I found a link on AN Archive about post-treatment steroids if you're interested: http://www.anarchive.org/steroids.htm
Looks like most were on steroids 3-7 weeks.

Good luck,
Jay
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009