Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 3891 times)

elderbirds

Just curious
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:00:02 pm »
I am having trouble trying to rationalize with my self treatment for something that is not causing me any problems....yet.  My AN is small-med (1.5-2.0cm range), and I am of the mind set that it needs to be gone, but right now I feel great except a decrease in hearing on the right-side (the reason for seeking additional medical advise  I am a pediatric health care provider).  The thought of things getting worse (potentially losing hear, facial nerve damage, CSF leak, headache etc) terrifies me.  Do things get better?  Do you every really return to your "pre-operative" state.  I have never had surgery and it freaks me out to think that I am walking into the hospital feeling totally fine, and coming out of the OR to the intensive care unit in g-d knows what condition!  I don't know what to fear the most..anesthesia? dizziness? headaches?  hearing. loss? CSF leak?  Again, the nursing background, not really helping me much here.  Thanks for letting me vent.  If anyone would like to help me prioritze my fears and uncertainties, feel free.
Hope

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Just curious
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:49:25 pm »
I felt great before my diagnosis also.  I had a feeling of fullness and diminished hearing in my left ear, but it didn't really concern me.  In fact, I spent at least 3 months with these symptoms and only asked my internist to look into my ear as an afterthought at my annual physical.  From there I was referred to an ENT who ordered my MRI; he promptly referred me to a neurotologist when the MRI showed a 1.5 cm AN.  The neurotologist was flabbergasted that I took 3+ months to look into my problem.  Strangely enough, if it had been one of my children who had these issues, it would have been a bigger priority for me. 

Anyway, I can totally understand that the thought of things getting worse terrifies you; it terrified me also.  But at the same time I realized that I had to make a treatment decision at some point.  My neurotologist stressed that I could only watch and wait for so long; most likely it was only a matter of time before I didn't feel so great and would be experiencing many more symptoms.  If having surgery isn't something that you think you could handle, maybe you should look into radiation.  It's usually a treatment option for an AN your size, and it's definitely less invasive than surgery.  Although I decided radiation wasn't right for me, it was right for lots of members of this forum.   Maybe it would be right for you too.

No one can guarantee you that you won't potentially have side-effects from surgery or radiation.  But you should allow yourself to consider the possibility that you won't have things like headaches, hearing loss, CSF leaks, etc.  Also keep in mind that everyone responds differently to treatment; it's like the rest of life - kind of like a crap shoot.  Post op or post radiation things might be worse for a while, but eventually things do get better.

I can honestly tell you that, with the exception of my SSD, I have returned to my pre-operative state.  Is life different because I can no longer hear with both ears?  Absolutely.  Do I think I'm worse off than I was before my AN surgery?  Absolutely not. 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:11:22 am »
Hi Hope.

I don't think anyone returns to their pre-An state completely, but many return to a "new normal" that is just as good or better. You don't really get to pick what post-treatment symptoms you get, so there is no point in worrying about which one to fear.

Should you get treatment? The question is what will happen if you don't. If the AN is stable and not growing, and nothing else is going to happen, then you don't really need to. They grow slowly in most cases, and some people watch and wait for years. If it is growing, though, then the sooner you act on it the better, because it will eventually do more damage. In my case, the decline in hearing indicated to me, and my neurotologist, that things were happening, and that if I didn't do something now, I would just lose more hearing, maybe develop other problems, and wind up doing something later anyway.

For many people, surgery or radiation produces a very acceptable outcome. It is not the best six months of your life, but afterwards it can sometimes turn into the best time of your life, as your appreciation for people and things around you changes for the better.

First you have to decide whether to watch and wait, and get a six month MRI and hearing test, and see if things are holding steady. If you decide to treat it now, or later, you have to decide which kind of surgery or radiation to get, and where to get it done. Then you talk to your insurance company, setup the appointment, sit back, and let it all unfold.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

elderbirds

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:35:11 am »
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I've been reading your posts for 2 weeks now, and you both are very inspirational.  I know this needs to be taken care of, I am not a very patient person to "watch and wait" to see if things change.  I just needed to know that there was a light at the end of the tunnell, and all of these things are manageable and can be worked through.  The neurotologist was very optimistic, and confident that the "side effects" were a lower incidence now than before.  He also told me if I did my vestibular exercises daily for a year and slept on  45 degree incline it would increase blood flow to the nerves.  He also discussed headaches and he belief on their causes in depth.  I will see if the other docs I meet wih are as optimistic!
Hope

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 08:46:55 am »
for me some things are better than pre-surgery..

I do have some eye and facial issues.. but.. were life really counts... I feel like I have 10 years back! now I did have a large tumor (4cm) .. and did not fully realize that it was fatiguing me badly .. I just did not have the energy level I used to .. I blamed it all on getting older... but after surgery... its comes back sslllloowwwwly.... after 6 months I felt good and I was happy .. but I kept getting stonger!! after 2 years now.. I'm out Kayaking evey chance I get... I could not do that before.... and I'm 43... (jeez, I'm really that old !!)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:05:05 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jackie

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:59:53 am »
I am having trouble trying to rationalize with my self treatment for something that is not causing me any problems....yet.  My AN is small-med (1.5-2.0cm range), and I am of the mind set that it needs to be gone, but right now I feel great except a decrease in hearing on the right-side (the reason for seeking additional medical advise  I am a pediatric health care provider).  The thought of things getting worse (potentially losing hear, facial nerve damage, CSF leak, headache etc) terrifies me.  Do things get better?  Do you every really return to your "pre-operative" state.  I have never had surgery and it freaks me out to think that I am walking into the hospital feeling totally fine, and coming out of the OR to the intensive care unit in g-d knows what condition!  I don't know what to fear the most..anesthesia? dizziness? headaches?  hearing. loss? CSF leak?  Again, the nursing background, not really helping me much here.  Thanks for letting me vent.  If anyone would like to help me prioritze my fears and uncertainties, feel free.
Hope

Good morning to you Elderbirds,

Your dilemma is what I believe we have all shared at one time or another. Like you my only symptoms are loss of hearing and Tinnitis, which is manageable. My recently past Mother used to say "Never trouble trouble, til trouble trouble you". Not necessarily medically appropriate, however, having pretty much adjusted to SSD, why have a procedure to end up being sorry that you jumped the gun should the outcome be less than perfect??? That's what I keep thinking. Like others I want it out, but not at the expense of suffering with less than a positive outcome??? That is why everyone here is so encouraging that it is all of our individual decisions. I greatly respect their advice! So many factors come into play as to what we each should do! Age, is one that many do not consider. Will the future bring new developements, treatments, procedures? In all, we must rule with our hearts, and trust that the decision we make is the best decision for us.
I continue on my trek of Watch and wait and wish you the very best in your decision making process! You aren't alone!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:59:11 pm »
Hi, elderbirds:

Your concerns regarding the consequences of surgery (or radiation) to address your AN diagnosis are normal and quite valid. 

Although occasionally an acoustic neuroma tumor will cease growing, with yours at close to 2 centimeters, you may not be that fortunate.  Please note that is pure speculation on my part, without any medical evidence, based on other's experience.  However, a 'watch-and-wait' approach may be feasible if you can use the time to come to grips with the eventual necessity of undergoing surgery or radiation.  Of course, this is a personal decision and your doctor's recommendation is far more important than what anyone says on this forum, but we try to be honest and realistic.     

We've all experienced the scary thought of walking into a hospital feeling relatively 'fine', then undergoing surgery or radiation and coming out with myriad complications that would negatively impact our quality of life.  Realistically, this scenario can and does happen, for a wide variety of reasons.  Yes, the doctors can remove or kill the benign-but-dangerous tumor (dangerous due to it's placement) but the risk of unpleasant consequences of such procedures remains a reality we all have to face prior to entering the hospital.  Putting off surgery or radiation is not a solution.  Coping with our fears, is.

We usually urge that a 'newbie' (newly diagnosed AN patient) educate themselves as much as possible, taking the fear of the unknown out of the equation.  Even a medical professional like yourself needs to focus on the facts, not simply assume the worst-case scenario.  That doesn't mean ignoring the possibility of post-op hearing loss (very likely, with or without treatment, as the AN is wrapped around the 8th nerve), equilibrium problems, dizziness, facial paralysis and CSF leaks.  Surgery always involves anesthesia and, as you know, that means some after-effects.  I had no appetite and felt fatigued for a few days, post-surgery, which is not unusual, as my surgery was almost 9 hours.  I recuperated from that and went on to a full recovery, although my hearing was permanently lost in the AN-affected ear some time (years) before my 'retrosigmoid approach' surgery. 

The cold, hard fact is that you'll have to physically address the reality of having a acoustic neuroma tumor - some day.  You can probably postpone that day for awhile but you'll risk continued hearing loss and other problems if you attempt to do so for too long.  Bi-annual MRI scans will be a necessity if you take the 'watch-and-wait' approach (with the approval of your doctor, of course).  You state that the thought of things getting worse 'terrifies you', which is entirely rational. That kind of fear should be used as a motivation for you to address the AN as soon as feasible, before such damage can occur.  We always caution recently-diagnosed AN patients to choose their doctor/surgeon very, very carefully.  Their experience in treating acoustic neuroma tumors is vital.  If a surgeon/radiation oncologist doesn't have extensive experience in treating/operating on AN tumors, he or she has to be considered someone that you should sensibly avoid.  You cannot afford to simply defer to a particular doctors opinion.  As a person working in the medical profession, I'm sure you know that.  I just felt it imperative to mention, as the AN diagnosis can sometimes cloud a patients mind with emotions and make sensible decisions harder.  I trust that won't be the case for you.

Bottom line:  You have to address your AN.  Your feeling of well-being will inevitably turn out to be temporary and too much delay in treating the tumor will have negative results.  Your fear of unpleasant, life-altering post-op consequences is based on reality.  Do the necessary research.  Choose your doctor/surgeon very carefully.  Your position as a medical professional should make that easier.  Face the possibility that treating your tumor will be somewhat of a gamble...as results can never be guaranteed.  Think about how you'll deal with the post-op problems you've mentioned.  Then, realize that because some AN patients have post-op/radiation complications, many do not.  I had a few minor issues that all resolved within six months.  My AN was twice as big as yours and I was over 60 when diagnosed.  I also had a suburb neurosurgeon, was in very good health and had a positive attitude.  I'm fine, now.  I trust you'll have a similar experience.

Please feel fee to use this forum to ask questions, vent and, most of all, simply stay connected to those who have 'been there' and can empathize with your fears, worries and concerns.

Jim

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 03:04:06 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.