Author Topic: My surgery is scheduled at Stanford Oct 5, 2007  (Read 1743 times)

Jason_B

My surgery is scheduled at Stanford Oct 5, 2007
« on: September 26, 2007, 01:45:50 am »
 I am going in for my Pre-op appointment with the ENT who diagnosed it and wil be performing the surgery. Please......What questions do I ask?  I have aleady donated the blood (Funny how they never pay me 305.00 when I donate it to the Red Cross.....but whatever). Have I made the right choice? They tell me Stanford is a great option to have and Dr. Murray has performed the op about 300 times. What should I know that I am not asking?

Regards,

Jason A. Bowman

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: My surgery is scheduled at Stanford Oct 5, 2007
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 07:10:31 am »
Jason,

I am trying to find a “Dr. Murrayâ€? on this list... http://med.stanford.edu/ohns/faculty/ … and I am not finding him. He is also not on the ANA list http://www.anausa.org/questions_for_physicians.html Is he with Neurosurgery, or Neurotology? 300 times in how many years? Personally I think you should try to see Dr. Jackler (department head)  http://med.stanford.edu/ohns/faculty/jackler.html and get his opinion (if not as the surgeon).  I interview nine surgeons, spent 3 months in full time research and even flew to HEI before I chose “Dr. Jacklerâ€? … and made my big trip to Stanford for surgery specifically for him. My experience there was great ( however I admit  I had this wonderful department head acting on my behalf as my advocate.) I was not necessarily going there because it was Stanford I was there because I really wanted Dr. Jackler (he is world renowned and actually fairly recent to Stanford as he used to be at UCSF) and Dr. Harsh (neurosurgeon) specifically

QUESTIONS TO ASK?

Start here
http://www.anausa.org/questions_for_physicians.html

AUTOLOGOUS BLOOD TRANSFUSION
Yes you made a good choice there. It is a “just in case� – but hey I did this and they DID have to use it. This gave me much peace-of-mind knowing by own blood was transfused … and I know my health history. Trust me your money was well spent at the Red Cross… and if they don’t need it for your surgery this is actually good – i.e. was not a waist of money (the Red Cross does such good charity work- that need money however they can get it). You have enough worries- heck knows worrying about the blood supply and where it came from.

For the record

I think the ENT department at Stanford is extremely well run… exemplary in fact. Other Pacific Northwest universities could benefit from following their example … everyone from the phone receptionist, to the chair to “Nanette� (an absolute sweetheart who books the surgeries) were just excellent. I feel it was worth my out-of-state trip to go to Stanford for AN surgery.

What are you having for surgery?
http://www.anausa.org/treatment_options.html
MF Middle fossa?
RS Retrosigmoid (Sub-occipital)
TL Translab

What size is you’re AN?

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Mark

Re: My surgery is scheduled at Stanford Oct 5, 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:35:33 pm »
Jason,

I guess first I would make the same statement that "4 cm" did in a prior post. I think I know the AN "players" at Stanford pretty well and I've never heard of Murray. I checked the web site for both Neurosurgery and Otolaryngology and he is not listed. So, unless he is really brand new, he is not on the faculty at Stanford. Is it possible he works with Roberson at the California ear institute? Doesn't mean he isn't a good surgeon, but as "4 cm" said Jackler would be the most experienced AN surgeon at Stanford and he usually works with Harsh or Chang.

In terms of the surgical route being used, Clearly TL would make hearing preservation a moot point. The other traditional option would be the "retro sig" approach which is what I was considering. Jackler and Chang both gave me about a 10-20% chance of saving usable hearing with that approach for a 2 cm. Those odds drop as the tumor size increases with surgery. Radiation results , on the other hand, are not size dependent. If you have very usable hearing today and attempting to maintain it , then you should talk to someone who understands it well at Stanford which would be Adler or Chang. If you are more comfortable with surgery, then , in my opinion, I would not bet the odds on the hearing being saved at the expense of the facial nerve and most docs seem to feel the  TL approach gives better outcomes in that arena.

As far as 2.5 cm being "too close to the brain stem", while I'm not a clinician by any means I've never quite understood why that gets used as an issue so often. I'm pretty sure every one with an AN has them essentially start in the same area, grow in the CP angle and begin to push on the Cerebellum. It's all size driven in my mind and that's one of the reasons radiosurgery is usually limited to 3 cm and smaller. At 2 cm, mine was just touching the cerebellum, at 2.5 it would be making a noticeable indent, etc. On the other side of the coin, I think it would be uncommon for an AN to be pushing on the cerebellum in any meaningful way below 1.5 cm. I have a hunch that some surgeons throw that one around to mislead people on radiosurgery like they do the malignant transformation issue. Just my two cents there, but in your case, a 2.5 cm would be impacting the cerebellum enough that a good radisourgeon needs to evaluate it.

At the end of all that, if your hearing is an issue for you, then yes, I would revisit the radiosurgery option with one of the folks I mentioned and make sure your comfortable going forward with surgery. If you do elect the surgery, I think the odds of hearing preservation are low and I would focus on the facial nerve preservation odds.

good luck

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001