Author Topic: Out of the mouths of kids....  (Read 1778 times)

Pembo

Out of the mouths of kids....
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:24:45 am »
3 years post op and I've re-entered the world of teaching. I'm a part time special ed teacher. Yesterday I had a 5th grader ask if I had a cold sore or if my lip was numb, "like from the dentist" (her exact words). She noticed that my face is not quite right. I wanted to say thank you for noticing but I just told her to do her work. That group of 5th graders likes to talk not work.

For 3 years people have been telling me they don't even notice anything wrong with my face and I have always disagreed. I look in the mirror or pictures and see a face that only animates on one side. Now I know they are just being polite. It takes the innocence of a child to ask the uncomfortable question.....

So will I ever tell these kids about my journey? I'm not sure.........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Out of the mouths of kids....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:58:42 am »

I would say Yes .. start with someone that asks.. you don't have to go into any gory details.. just say you had a non-cancerous growth removed behind you ear...

of course people I work with know some details... but only 1 person I don't know has asked me about my BAHA .. in 2 years...and I commonly have the bright colored stickers that come with the BAHA and short hair!!    She's politely asked me "I'm sorry -- you mind me asking .. what is that on your head?"   I was in the coffee room at work while I was making my coffee , we chatted a bit -- seemed very interested in the details ... ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 08:46:24 am »
That is funny about the BAHA. I've only been asked twice....I usually wear my hear down though. I sense that people treat me differently when the BAHA is visible. Not sure if it's just my thinking that OR if it really is happening.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 02:23:51 pm »
Joe F -

that's so interesting about no one mentioning your BAHA - since I've seen pictures of it on your head with the stickers and it appears to be quite noticeable when you wear your hair short.  It's kind of like when I'm talking to someone with something stuck in my teeth and no one tells me.  I guess sometimes people think they'll cause embarassment by pointing out differences.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways