Author Topic: Another New Member  (Read 2677 times)

pattycake

Another New Member
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:41:35 pm »
61 yrs old in CT, recently diagnosed with 18mm AN. (1.8cm; I'll get this right soon) Symptoms were occassional, mild balance problems for years - followed by progressive hearing loss & pressure in right ear in the last 12 months.  Have the MRI, met with 2 ENTs, the ENT surgeon is new to our area fresh from years of fellowship at Johns Hopkins. After gathering our wits - my first thoughts are surgery after the holidays. My husband prefers that it is gone, but he supports whatever I wish. I hate all the options, reluctantly I finally made second opinion & surgical radiation apptmts today. Sometimes more info is too much for me.

My concern about surgery in Boston is - am I going to feel like a 2 1/2 hour drive on release from hospital? where does my husband and family stay/eat/sleep if I am in the hospital for awhile?   anyone have experience with that?

As confirmed by everyone, your website is a godsend ... and we have a local AN Support Group meeting next week.  Fighting the 'bugger' with information is getting me back into the game.  Thank you for being there, nobody else knows where I am.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 08:10:57 am by pattycake »
1.7cm x 1.4 - Surgery 3/14/08 - Meningioma
Mass General Hosp - McKenna & Barker - no facial problems
Persistent Headache pain remains

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Another New Member
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 02:23:31 pm »
hello patty and welcome. Good to see you here.  Another from New England here (ok, Sox, Mets or the dreaded Yanks?) and we are prepping for a brunch out in Worcester on Nov 11 at 11am:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3561.75

JoeF, from CT (and also a moderator on this discussion forum) will be in attendance. The array of folks that attend the brunch are from all over New England and have had (or are going to have) all forms of AN treatments... some surgery, some radio-surgery, some still deciding.

I do hope you can join us... meeting folks face to face (as you also note about your local support meeting) truly is a fantastic way to see first-hand just how great everyone is doing... and knowing that we are all here to support you.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Patch

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 03:07:53 pm »
GO INDIANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 03:28:37 pm »
GO INDIANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah, Rice... sur'ah! :D

*walks up to home plate, does a couple of practice swings, turns around and blows Jason Varitek a kiss, sees the pitch, high and outside, swings, hits ball and tears out, heading left, over the Green Monster*

Ah..... good to be a member of BoSox Nation! :D

*runs the bases... ok, walks fast with cane... and stomps home plate after scoring first home run!*

Sorry Patty... just couldn't resist... and as you can see..... we have to laugh during this journey... sometimes, you just need to let it loose! Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 03:34:09 pm »
Welcome Pattycake, take some comfort in that many, many people have walked the road before you, and are here to support you. My hubby slept in my hospital room at the Mayo Clinic. They happily brought him a fold-out bed. I think the nurses appreciated the fact that he helped me countless times that I would have normally called them for! Best wishes, and keep us updated. Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 06:41:44 pm »
I'm in CT too ! you should really come the bunch with us on Nov 11.  you can ride with me if you like....

I would be good to talk to wide range of from large 5 cm to small ones , recurring ones, surgery to radio... we've done it all...

* got a good laugh when I re-read your message Phyl and I basicly said the same thing you did !*
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 06:46:07 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

OTO

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 08:42:04 pm »
pattycake

My concern about surgery in Boston is - am I going to feel like a 2 1/2 hour drive on release from hospital? where does my husband and family stay/eat/sleep if I am in the hospital for awhile?   anyone have experience with that?

I'm sure the hospital will either have a guest house or will have a "preferred rate" at a nearby hotel for your family.   I had my surgery in Los Angeles, and the hospital had a guest center.   I know the big hospital here in Honolulu also has some apartments for families to stay in.   I was in the hospital for 4 nights, and then was discharged.   I stayed in the guest center for a week, so I didn't have a long flight back right away.   The first couple of days out of the hospital I was still very tired, and dizzy.   But I would walk from the Guest Center to the Hospital Cafeteria three times a day to eat... ha ha ha.   I could do my short walks for theraphy, but not much else. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:41:22 pm »
Hi, pattycake:

I'm sorry you have a reason to be here but I'm glad you found this website and forum.  Lots of information, support and advice here, from those who can understand the ramifications of an AN diagnosis because they've lived with the same diagnosis.

I'm also from Connecticut (Litchfield county) and near your age.  As my signature shows, I had a fairly large AN but came through surgery and radiation successfully.  I was a mess when my AN was discovered via an MRI scan in the spring of 2006, but I'm doing fine now.

For what it may be worth, my neurosurgeon was Dr. Issac Goodrich of New Haven.  Dr. Goodrich operates out of The Hospital of Saint Raphael (New Haven) and is a part-time instructor at Yale medical school.  He did a remarkable job with my surgery.. He is experienced, caring and compassionate.  A mature, courtly gentleman, very responsive to patient concerns.  He works out of Connecticut Neurosurgery in New Haven.  Here is their website address:  http://ct-neurosurg.com/index.htm   

I highly recommend this surgeon. 

If you have any interest in consulting this doctor, please PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you may have.  I hope this info is useful to you.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pattycake

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 08:06:36 am »
YANKEES ALL THE WAY !!!   just came up a little short this year.  I guess I can 'visit' Red Sox nation for the playoffs - but Joe can't  :D 

Thanks for the Nechache chain - I have had chronic Neck problems for awhile - never related them at all.  My latest annoyance is being unable to use the telephone in my bad ear.  We may come on Nov. 11, let me get through my first local group meeting.

Joe F - I may take you up on your offer.  So NICE to see your Fishing signature, my Joe is also a Fly Fisherman.  He needs attention too. 
1.7cm x 1.4 - Surgery 3/14/08 - Meningioma
Mass General Hosp - McKenna & Barker - no facial problems
Persistent Headache pain remains

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 08:39:55 am »
I had neck pain too ... once I had the surgery .. it's been gone ever since...

Yankees!  >:( .. well I guess no one is perfect  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 12:07:42 pm »
Hi, pattycake and welcome.  So sorry you have to join us, but you'll find it's a great group with lots of information and humor to dispense.

I had AN surgery about 45 minutes from my house and found the car ride home, after 6 days in the hospital, to be interesting.  I felt nauseaus and dizzy the whole way.  But keep in mind everyone is different and has a different experience.  I know there are others on this forum who traveled long distances to have their surgery and they got through it. 

Whatever treatment you decide to have, and wherever you decide to have it, make sure the docs are qualified and you are comfortable with them.   

Wishing you the best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 03:47:26 pm »
Hi Pattycake:  Please, if your AN isn't real large, take your time making your decision - PLEASE check out radiation - I KNOW in the end it's YOUR decision, no one else's.
I say this because I jumped in without checking out options, had surgery on a 2 CM AN, & ended up with right sided facial paralysis.  Granted, this isn't the norm (Thank God), but it HAS changed my life forever.   Still dealing with all the problems paralysis brings, 15+months post op.
Wishing you all the best,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis