Author Topic: Pre-op appointment made today  (Read 1992 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
Pre-op appointment made today
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:01:15 am »
Hi eveyone, my Pre-op appointment has been made for me it will be next wednesday 24th October at Hope Hospital Salford, Manchester, I knew it was coming but now it just makes everything more real. I'm noticing my syptoms more and more now but I think thats just because I now know what is causing them.

Its three weeks tomorrow until my surgery, I can feel myself becoming more anxsious with each day, got to keep thinking positive thoughts.

Keep you all posted soon

Cheryl. XxX   
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Lorenzo

Re: Pre-op appointment made today
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:25:52 am »
HI Cheza,
Do keep us posted, and good luck with it! Soon you'll be into the next phase of your life!
All the best, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:33:11 am »
Cheryl,

Stay positive and confident.

Read up on what to expect post op…

http://www.anausa.org/post_treatment.html

…So that if you have any issues you are quick to identify these and get your medical team on to anything unusual-  ‘el prompto’

I ordered these booklets from the ANA ...

https://secure.baxinternet.com/~anausa/for_sale.html

...after I got home.

In hindsight I wish I had read these before I went into  the hospital.

Hang in there and be sure to keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take photos of you together with cherished friends and family before you leave. We did this and I printed the photos up and packed these off to the hospital with me – where these were posted up for me to see… and to keep me cheerful.

The first couple of weeks you will have “wonky head� but it DOES get better- lots of testimonies on this forum to that.

Hoping for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery for you. :)

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

satman

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:36:25 am »
Hi Cheryl,dont worry about it,you wont feel or remember a thing.
The thing to look forward to is soon all your symptoms will be a memory.
we are all here for you and you are going to feel so much better.
stay positive .
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:45:22 pm »
Cheryl -

you'll do fine.  The days leading up to surgery are anxious ones, but as others have said, it'll be over before you know it and you can begin your recovery.

My surgery was 5/31/07 and today, it seems like a distant memory. 

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 01:20:06 pm »
Hi, Cheryl:

It's quite natural to be anxious about having major surgery of any kind, but especially when it affects your brain and can impact important facial and bodily functions.  It's not easy to be objective when it's your head they're going to be opening up.  We understand that and frankly, it wasn't a walk in the park for almost any AN surgical patient, including this one.  That noted, you must realize that the surgery has to be done.  Eventually, we all accept that reality, even if we fight it for awhile.  I looked at my AN surgery as one of those things you just have to endure in life, much as I once endured major dental surgery.  That was unpleasant but I survived, healed up just fine and have a healthy mouth (and teeth) today, while I can't even remember much about the extensive dental work I once dreaded but that repaired a problem that simply had to be addressed.  O.K., extensive dental work and AN surgery may not be precisely analogous, but I trust you get the point.     

You have the right idea:  keep thinking positive thoughts.  You're going to be one of the 'lucky' ones (AN surgical patients that come out of the surgery with few or no complications).  You're going to be yourself again.  You're going to surmount this thing because it isn't cancer and besides, you haven't got time for it.  Remember, as soon as you come out of the surgery - the healing begins. Until then, you're just marking time and making preparations for the symptom-free life that is waiting for you, post-op.

Of course nothing in life is guaranteed (except death and taxes) but if you do end up with some kind of post-op problem, you'll deal with it.  Most are temporary, anyway.  Meanwhile, It's O.K. to have some anxiety about the surgery but don't allow your fears to control you in any way.  Admit them (as you have) and then put them aside so that you can move forward and do what you need to do to get this AN thing out of your life and start enjoying living without AN symptoms, again. 

I wish you serenity and a great surgical outcome.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.