Author Topic: AN and problem solving  (Read 2032 times)

jerseygirl

AN and problem solving
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:16:42 pm »
Hello everybody,

Some ANers complain that they have nystagmus, poor eye tracking and seemingly unrelated, problem-solving difficulties. Here is the study that claims to affect problem solving by eye tracking:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070924122919.htm

I did not think before the two were related. Any thoughts?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Boppie

Re: AN and problem solving
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:53:43 pm »
That is really interesting.  I experience graphic and spatial problem solving issues quite often.  I get pieces of design elements backwards and incorrect so often now.  I have rely on looking at the "big picture", stepping back from the image, checking number details and rechecking to catch errors.  I was very good at this type of cognitive thinking all my life and until the AN surgery.  I continue to complain to my friends and family that my mind works differently and that it frustrates me.  I hope we can read more about this research and how to improve workarounds to problem solving.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:59:27 pm by Boppie »

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:13:45 am »
Boppie,

I also get things backwards, especially directions. It is almost a garuantee that things are the other way! In terms of problem-solving, my mind also works differently, I am no sure how though. It all happened since the first AN surgery. I always attributed it to SSD and crebellum but eye tracking? I have had mild nystagmus for a couple of years since my first surgery and a few weeks since my second one. Apparantly, eye tracking is also a culprit. I can't wait for a follow up study.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:35:32 am »
  Facinating research.
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW