Author Topic: FINALLY WORKING!  (Read 4401 times)

satman

FINALLY WORKING!
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:12:44 am »
Hey everybody,I hope everybody is having a great day.I just wanted to let
my 2nd family know that this week was my 1st week back to work and I could not be happier.
It was 7 months to the day,It was a very emotional 1st day,I'm glad thats behind me.
I live in Dallas so the highways are really moving and no matter where you go you have to use them.
I get up for work at 2:30 am and last week my wife would ride with me and pick me up so I could see how I would handle
the highway,I did just fine,the only thing thats weird is the GOOP in the eye,makes driving a challenge.At the moment I am working full time just not full capacity. I work for ABC news,I know , media guy [dont hate me] It will be a few months before I chase down hurricanes and all the other bad stuff that goes with News ,but I am getting there.
So to the newbies ,when it seems like your getting nowhere and dealing with all that is A N, Try to remember what you have achieved and not whats holding you back. TIME WILL HEAL ALL !  I love you all and thanks again for always being there in my time of need. I will still be here though,you people made an impact on me.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 10:17:46 am by satman »
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: FINALLY WORKING!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 11:15:17 am »
Great news John;  yes, it is an emotional ride the 1st few days/weeks back.   Every time someone gave me a hug I'd start crying, that went on for a little while.  Guess with everything we've been thru, just getting back to some 'normalcy' in our lives takes an emotional toll.   Anyway, glad to hear all went well.   Keep on truckin' my friend.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 11:33:18 am »
Hi, John:

Thanks for the encouraging update - and congratulations on returning to work.  It sounds as if you'll be fine.  Remember, whatever is hampering you now will eventually get better - or you'll simply learn to adjust and 'work around' the impediment.  Either way, the future looks bright.  You're proving that an AN diagnosis is far from the disaster some folks may expect.  No fun, not easy and some patients do much better than others, to be sure, but still, there is 'life after an acoustic neuroma'.  You're living it.  Keep forging on.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

deea

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 11:38:44 am »
Congrats on your first week back at work...what a achievement!  You have worked hard to get to this point and I know at times it was so difficult.  You have showed us how the hard work can get us back to the "real world".  Thank you for sharing, it will certainly benefit many no matter where we are on our AN journey.  

Claudia

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 08:32:10 am »
Satman -

Congratulations!!!  It's wonderful to hear that you have returned to work.

You have been through so much and have been such an inspiration to others along the way. 

Your hard work and tenacity have definitely paid off.

Media man, or not, we all wish you the best of luck  ;D

Jan     
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 02:30:02 pm »
Super Dooper Trouper Satman Super “8�

You are my hero… Way to go!

I really needed to read an uplifting AN story today especially…

You are SO awesome! ;D

Three cheers for Satman Super Hero,

“Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!"   
Cheers,

“Media guyâ€? huh?  ::) ...Oh well  ;)– you are still a super hero in my eyes  :D
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 03:14:02 pm »
Excellent, congratulations, and way to go!

It is great to hear about "gettin' back to normal" from someone who had a real ordeal to work through. It's the most inspiring kind of story.

Being a media guy is okay when you are reporting the good news.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

1wareagle

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 03:21:35 pm »
John,

It is so great to hear a uplifting story today!  I am so glad you are finally back to work. 7 months is a long time but you made it. I was in Dallas a month ago and I don't see how you handle the traffic, with or without the AN. If you can maneuver the freeway, in your condition, you are recovering great!

Good Luck,
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Dfcman

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 11:11:02 am »
John,

Congratulations man.  I'm very proud to hear of that.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 12:03:43 pm »
Super "8" ;D

It has been a week now since you last posted...

How is it going? Your faithful fans- we all want to know.

"4"
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 09:49:11 am »
I was wondering the same thing.  How's work going? 
Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

satman

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 01:57:58 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words.
Work is going great and I actually enjoy going now,This whole AN thing has really opened my eyes,no pun intended.
At the current time I am working full time,just not full capacity,YET ! That is my goal.
The freeeway is not so difficult,but I go to work at 3:30am so there is no traffic. When I come home at 1:00 in the afternoon
there is traffic,I just get in one lane and stay there. Right now I am responsible for 4 hours of live news broadcast, when I go full capacity again I will be chasing more hurricanes,murders,bombings ,etc...
Right now I can do my job strictly inside,sitting in a rolling chair working with cameras,live trucks, traffic helicopters,and such.
But I am looking at the first of the year to return to the satellite and local live TV trucks,Iam just not that confident in driving all over the country to chase news right now.I have learned that things take patience.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 11:24:08 am »
Super 8…Faster than a news TV truck, flies higher than a traffic helicopters, stronger than hurricanes… its Satman Super 8!

Ok “8� you are my personal super hero however I also know that before you go into the phone booth (ok ok “news booth�) I know there is a very human side to you.

You wrote
“The freeeway is not so difficult,but I go to work at 3:30am so there is no traffic.�

3:30 am Oy ya ya … Super 8 !???!  ???

The problems with us super mom types  ;D – is we worry too much.  And you, John Boy  :-*,  have me worried about all the adrenaline rushing stress releasing  hormones that can encourage tumor growth in your super strength body. (Even super heroes need a nagging mom from time-to-time  :D)

I want you to read this book

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Thieves-Stanley-Coren/dp/0684831848

this excerpt specifically
http://www.stanleycoren.com/e_thieves.htm

Oh John Boy – PLEASE take care of yourself.

(super worry wart)

satman

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 12:05:02 pm »
The book I shall read, if  I'M  "8" and your "4" I guess that means your my better half,the sensible half
that is. SUPER MOM ! now thats  stress.