Author Topic: Update on Jason B  (Read 2540 times)

Jason_B

Update on Jason B
« on: October 06, 2007, 07:25:51 am »
Hello, this is Jason's wife Christine. Jason's surgery went very well yesterday and the dr was able to remove the entire tumor. It was a nervewracking morning and the surgery went a little longer than I expected. It was such a relief to finally see him afterwards and talk to him.  Thanks to those who pm'ed him and I am sure he will look forward to chatting w/you once he is back home.
The package he received overnight last week from the ANA was very informative and helpful to his family in the waiting room.
Hopefully he will be back online soon and will update you on his progress.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Update on Jason B
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 08:01:24 am »
Christine,

I'm so glad that Jason is a "postie" now!  I'll keep both of you in my continued thoughts and prayers on the journey through recouperation and rehabilitation.  Things will be different, but for some of us, things we took for granted before are so much more precious to us now.  Make sure Jason and you, too, get the rest you both need. 
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 09:01:38 am »
Christine and Jason,

Hugs to you both. The first 2 weeks are kind of rough – but it does get better. 6 weeks ago I was at Stanford, too in Jason’s position… and the nurses on the floor were just great to me. (ICU nurses a different story). I am confident that Jason will be in good hands once in a hospital room … However know that they will constantly wake Jason up to take vitals – so it is not necessarily a place to get uninterrupted sleep.

I had one nursing assistant (originally from the Philippines) who was SO sweet to me named “Sophie�. I am guessing she is her late 40’s early 50’s. If you happen to get her (I had her 3 times in my 10 days) tell her I say “hi!�… and let her know I remember (and so appreciated) her.

Keep moving forward Jason. 6 weeks from now you WILL feel better than you do today.

More hugs to you both...

Hillary (AKA 4) :)

P.S. Christine my husband (AKA my caregiver) wants to tell you that the coffee at the coffee bar is way better than the coffee at the cafeteria. The coffee bar is just around the corner- in the eating area. If Jason thinks all coffee tastes disgusting  :-\ – this is normal post op. RE PARKING Also go to security to get a parking pass – it is way cheaper than parking and paying daily.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 11:33:40 am »
Christine:

Congratulations to Jason for his successful transition from pre-op to 'postie'.  I was pleased to learn that his surgery went well.  Now, the recovery begins - and I trust it will be rapid and complete.  I'm looking forward to reading updates on and by Jason in the weeks to come.  Tell him we wish him all the best and to take things easy for awhile, as he recuperates.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

hendi51

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 11:38:33 am »
I'm so glad Jason is doing good. Will keep him in my prayers.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 11:06:33 pm »
Thanks for updating us on Jason.Take care of yourself as he will need you more later.I AM KEEPING YOU GUYS IN MY PRAYERS. Please keep us posted,
Lynn

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 01:05:28 am »
Good news, I'm glad to hear that Jason is doing well. Soon he will be home and resting up, and can spend his time updating us on his recovery. All the best to both of you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jason_B

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 08:48:50 am »
(christine again)
Thanks everyone. He left ICU yesterday for a regular patient room and I was happy as ICU seems like a difficult place to rest. The first floating nurse wasn't that great but the 2 after were really nice. His nurse in the regular room was a sweetheart and they let me shut the door so he could sleep.

He is not dizzy and has had minimal pain. His doctor said the tumor was larger than we thought and his balance had already been shot and he was used to compensating and therefore is having little to no dizziness. He should be home tomorrow. I am sure we will get the complete instructions then but the doctor said at first a lot of rest but then he wants him to get more and more active.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 10:10:20 am »
Christine -

I'm so glad to hear that Jason is now a postie and will be home from the hospital soon.  It sounds like he's doing well.

Thanks for updating us; waiting to hear how others are doing can be very nervewracking.  It was great you thought enough to give us a status report.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 08:52:34 pm »
Hi Jason, I hope you are doing well and recovering after your surgery. I had mine last month in LA on October the 17th with Dr. Shahinian at SBI, he did the retrosigmoid using a minimally invasive endoscopic procedure. So far my post op problems are: Full Facial paralysis on the left side of my face. (The doctor told me that it will recover and was very confident,he based this on his previous experiences and because he was able to manually activate the nerve and face before closing the surgery). I lost the hearing in my left ear with the exception of the tinnitus which is worse, We hope it will diminish in time but we are not sure. I am still experiencing dizziness and some minor coordination issues as well but I understand that this is common, my balance is fine. I would like to know if you are having any of the same problems? (I expect not). I just would like to hear how your operation went and how you are improving with this horrible experience.   
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.