Author Topic: Silly Question......  (Read 2469 times)

Melissa778

Silly Question......
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:30:54 am »
My AN is 1.6cm X 1.6cm on the right side, the last several days I have experienced some numbness on the left side of my face.....is it possible for a right-sided AN to cause problems on the opposite side?  I know it's a silly question.....
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

mema

Re: Silly Question......
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:09:20 am »
Daydreamer,                                                       

I don't know about numbness, but what I do know is that my AN on the left side I have ssd and I get all kinds of noises and aches in my non-An ear.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 12:43:03 pm »

My AN is 1.6cm X 1.6cm on the right side, the last several days I have experienced some numbness on the left side of my face.....is it possible for a right-sided AN to cause problems on the opposite side?  I know it's a silly question....

Not really silly. 

Occasionally, the discovery of an AN propels us into a sort of hyper-sensitivity to previously unnoticed facial sensations, including numbness that may be more apparent than real or is completely unconnected with an acoustic neuroma. 

I'm not a physician, but to my knowledge, an acoustic neuroma on one side of your head shouldn't cause AN-like symptoms on the opposite side of your head.  However, you would want to bring this to the attention of your doctor so that it might be investigated by those with medical expertise.  It could be a symptom of NF2 (Neurofibromatosis Type II) or simply some more common problem not involving anything connected with your AN, which I sincerely hope is the case.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

marguerite

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:51:10 pm »
no numbness, but noticed losing hearing on the left side. my an 1.5 on right and hearing is hard on that side. it's a habit now to immediately put the phone on the left ear and i accidently hit my left cheek today with a very hard phone handle, most frustrating! i have noticed somethimes whenever i have a fullness AND high ringing i soon after get a headcold. i'm sure people are tired of me saying "huh? or "can you repeat that". sometimes i just smile and nod. i think another hearing test soon in the picture. hang in there...