Author Topic: questions, I'm not too encouraged by what I'm reading here  (Read 4182 times)

macintosh

Re: questions, I'm not too encouraged by what I'm reading here
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 11:42:37 pm »
 For Kelsi and anyone else who wants to see this study from U. Pitt--here's a quick cut and paste:

A survey was mailed to members of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons in July 2002. Six hundred sixty-three surgeons responded to the survey (30%). The survey was mailed with four questions written on one page. Forty one percent of responders were between the ages of 40 and 50. Eighty percent of neurosurgeons surveyed had either performed radiosurgery on a patient with an acoustic neuroma or had referred a patient for neurosurgery (n=530).

Survey Case One: You are a 37 year-old neurosurgeon who presents with mild decreased hearing on one side. You have no tinnitus and no balance problems. Facial function is normal. An MRI scan (right) shows an intracanalicular acoustic neuroma and serial scans have shown a small amount of growth. Which management strategy would you choose for yourself -- observation; surgical resection; stereotactic radiosurgery; fractionated radiotherapy?

Response: The majority of surgeons stated that they would choose stereotactic radiosurgery for management of their small acoustic tumor (n=283; 43%). Only 122 surgeons stated that they would choose surgical resection of their tumor (18%). Fractionated radiotherapy was chosen by 2% of responders. Interestingly, 240 surgeons stated that they would continue to observe their tumor (36%) rather than undergoing any specific treatment at the present time. It had been stated in the case presentation that serial scans had already shown a small amount of growth. This tumor had been observed and was increasing in volume. Nevertheless, approximately one-third of responders continued to choose observation for a 37 year-old patient with a small, but growing tumor.

lori67

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 10:07:31 am »
Hi Kelsi.

Don't be  discouraged by what you read here.  Like the others said, everyone is different.  While I'm sure everyone here has had their share of bad days, I don't think too many would say they have a poor quality of life since their diagnosis or treatment.  It's important to remember to stay positive so that the bad days stay to a minimum, but I'm willing to bet, we all had bad days before our AN's too.

I know this whole experience has helped me to put things into perspective and appreciate things a lot more than I did before, which I think is one of the best things to happen since my surgery.  I realize how lucky I am that this was a benign tumor, that I had the support of family and friends and skilled, caring doctors who made sure I made it through this okay.    I am deaf in an ear that worked perfectly the day I went into the operating room, I have some facial issues and minor balance problems - but as my husband reminds me on my bad days - it sure beats the option!  I'm here to raise my kids and enjoy things - and that's a pretty big deal to me.

Part of the reason it might seem like a lot of "complaining" going on here (which I don't think there is) is because it's so much easier to talk about our AN related problems with someone who knows exactly what we're talking about.  I don't think anyone who hasn't been through this can really understand what we're feeling.  It helps to bounce our problems or concerns off of each other because maybe we can find a solution we hadn't thought of before.  And it probably keeps us from talking about it to our loved ones all the time - they definitely need a break from it too!

I hope everything goes well for you and your SO - who is obviously lucky to have you in their corner looking out for them.  Let us know how things go.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 06:36:48 pm »
Kelsi -

I'm 46 (had surgery at age 45) and am doing excellent - no issues whatsoever other than SSD.  I'm not a man, but if your SO wants to "talk" to someone who has had a good surgical outcome, he can send me a PM. 

As you can see by some of the other responses to your post, there are many forum members (men included) who would be more than willing to help you and your SO.

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NW

• 9mmx8mmx10mm Surgery Oct.17,2007
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 03:26:39 pm »
Kelsi,

I can see why you are not encouraged. I went through the same thing. I felt that this is a very depressing site.  Many positive outcomes are not posted because those people move on. I can honestly say I had a wonderful outcome, I am just 2 months post op! I feel that on this site I found my Guardian Angel to help guide me! If I can be of any help to you I'm here!! Nancy

\

kelsi

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 12:42:12 pm »
Thanks for the positive message. I've actually came acrossed a lot of positive outcomes now, especially when the tumour is small.kelsi
And the holidays were so wonderful around here.