Author Topic: Myths?  (Read 2452 times)

JeWeL41

• Science teacher, married mum of 3, happy,bit deaf!
Myths?
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:10:22 pm »
Hi all, I have not been diagnosed with AN, but SSHL and am awaiting a contrast MRI when my GP does the referral (he called yesterday but I was out).

The ENT that I saw in London a year ago said that although headaches are not a symptom of SSHL they are NOT a symptom of AN either? My headaches are left-sided (same side as hearing loss) Is this true, I read that headaches are a symptom but haven't read of single-sided headaches (especially around and behind the ear).

Also, my audiologist said I could not have an AN because after my initial hearing loss I did recover some hearing following Prednisone, he said with an AN the hearing loss would get worse.

All of the ENTs I saw (3) said my sudden hearing loss was not connected to the mild hearing loss I had discovered two years before or to the two bouts of labrynthitis I had a year, and six months prior to SSHL - now I read this could be an early symptom.

Has anyone had any of these symptoms?
Sudden hearing loss Nov 2006 (left), tinnitus, fullness,imbalance, left side headaches and strange sensation on that side of face - but not AN!
Diagnosis - SSHL. Bouts of spinning vertigo now!
Saw Prof Ramsden (April 08) and it may be Atypical Menieres with Migraine Syndrome!

Esperanza

Re: Myths?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:04:54 pm »
Hello,

Try not to get too stressed about this (says she haha!!) I get niggly pain behind my ear on the AN side (and have done for quite a while but taken no notice of it before - another symptom missed??) and a feeling like someone's sticking their finger in my ear (or a screwdriver??).  I have suffered migraines for years and Drs. put it down to hormones but they have always involved earache and neck/shoulder ache.  If only I pushed for an MRI (with contrast of course!) before.  It seems on here people get all kinds of symptoms and I suppose you don't really know what is and what isn't unless the AN is treated and they stop? 

Sounds like you are moving things in the right direction for getting a definitive answer as to whether your problem is an AN or not.  I truly hope it isn't.....

Take care
x
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:06:59 pm by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Kaybo

Re: Myths?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:35:48 pm »
HI!
I am no doctor, but I will say that I had HORRIBLE headaches before they removed my HUGE AN and I hardly ever have them now -- maybe one every month or two -- and those are really not bad at all.
Of course, I hope that another cause and solution can be found for you and not an AN!!
Good Luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!