Author Topic: eye closes when chewing/& or smiling etc.  (Read 3151 times)

marg

eye closes when chewing/& or smiling etc.
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:25:55 pm »
I am asking for myself and 4 ..   #1Has anyone else had their eye (AN side) partially or completely close as facial paralysis started to improve- when you were eating or smiling?
                                            #2    Did this eye closing thing stop (and or get better)as the facial paralysis continued to get better over time?
Thanks,
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Lorenzo

Re: eye closes when chewing/& or smiling etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 06:31:42 am »
HI Margaret,
Not sure, as i don't have that, but could it be something called Synkenesis? Google it. I'm sure some people here on the forum have that effect.
Ciao, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:05:34 am »
Hi Marg,
  This is not unusual for AN patients whose facial nerve has been damaged.  I've seen it explained that as the facial nerve repares itself there may be some cross connections.  For some this means that when they eat their AN side eyes tears up, and or they have to blow their nose.  I had some (thankfully temporary) facial issues for about 6 weeks post surgery-- dry eye on the AN side, very difficult to blink on the AN side, asymetric lip movement when trying to smile.  Thankfully all this has healed and resolved itself.  But I do have some [AN side] eye tearing and nasal flow when I eat, especially with more flavorful food.  And somtimes when I smile, the AN side eye squints.  You'll find these discribed as known issues for some after AN treatment in the ANA literatrure on this site.  Physical Therapy and facial movement retraining can supposedly help with unintended facial movement.  It's never bothered me enough to check out facial retraining.  And it has gotten better with time.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:14:05 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Mary 117

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 03:40:42 pm »
Hi Margaret. I also have that problem. My eye closes when I eat or smile.  It has gotten better with time but is still there. My eye also tears when I chew or exercise which is more annoying then the closing part. At least my eye isn't so dry anymore. I have heard of facial retraining but as Rob stated, it never bothered me enough to do anything. Good Luck
Mary

2cm AN, Middle Fossa, HEI, Dr. Brackmann, 05/24/05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

marg

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:21:55 pm »
I would just prefer to see if it resolves itself with time.  I think the paralysis is still (slowly) getting better so maybe I  will wait a little longer to see if the issue resolves itself.  I can't find anyone in this area (western Wasington or Portland, OR area ) who does this facial retraining.... if anyone does know of someone - please let me know.
Thanks,
Margaret
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:57:39 pm by marg »
Marg 
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

OMG16

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 03:20:45 pm »
Marg I am sorry I am just now posting.  I have posted on 4's post about the UW, Harborview and Swedish and hopefully this will help you via her research.  I see you are in contact with 4 and I'm sure the two of you will find the therapy that you need.  Please do keep us posted.  Kisses to your forehead!  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

marg

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:56:58 pm »
Thanks so much 16.  We will let you know what if we find help in our area. 
Margaret
Marg