Author Topic: Teeth Sensitivity  (Read 3653 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Teeth Sensitivity
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:11:14 pm »
Just got back from the dentist - seems my teeth have become very sensitive due to decrease in enamel.

Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.   I'm 1 year & 8 months post op, the last few weeks I cannot drink
anything cold.   The dental hygienist gave me a prescription strength sensitive toothpaste to use.

I wonder if this is common to anyone else, those with facial paralysis, or is it just me?
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

Re: Teeth Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:49:52 pm »
Nancy~
I haven't noticed any sensitivity.  Can you feel both sides?  Is it your good side that is sensitive?  I can' feel my right side at all, nor chew on that side.  I just have all the problems associated with prolonged use of only one side.  I will say that to get my "good" side numb is like trying to move mountains -- it takes about 8 shots!!

Wanting to be "sensitive" to you!!   :-*
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:18:05 pm »
Hi K:  Yes, I feel both sides (always had feeling on my right side, just not movement); it seems to be all my teeth that are sensitive -   I seem to be biting into food more with my front teeth, &, like you, I chew on my left (good side).   Maybe I'm just grasping at straws, I don't know.....  I seem to blame everything on the paralysis......
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Static

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:36:06 pm »
Nancy,
I have had so many dental problems since my surgery.  I didn't have any facial paralysis problems though.  I don't chew alot on the bad (right) side, for whatever reason, I just can't chew as well on that side and I recently had dental work on the left side.  A permanent cap and a cavity fixed.  I don't like to have novicaine because it seems to last too long and I don't like the feeling so I didn't get it for the cavity and when she was drilling I started to feel it but then she was done.  Well anyway, now that it's been a couple of weeks, that tooth is still very hot and cold sensitive.  I probably should have had a root canal.  I've already had about 4 since the AN surgery.  This from a person who prior to the AN surgery, has never had a cavity in her life!  And yeah, since the surgery, my teeth have been very sensitive to cold.  It did get a bit better, but flares up at times for no reason whatsoever.  Like I said earlier, I didn't have any facial paralysis although at times, I do feel a tingling in the right side of my face sometimes so maybe the facial nerves were effected but not noticeable?  It's all a mystery to me  :-\
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Karen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:42:23 pm »
Nancy, I am using the special toothpaste at night too.  I only chew on the good side.    For Kaybo, what kind of problems do you have from chewing on one side?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:45:24 pm »
Nancy & Static~
Just FYI:  If you can chew on your "bad" side at all -- DO!!!!!!!!  My teeth are starting to shift and the dentist said it is because I mainly (ONLY) chew on one side!  I am on a every 4 month cleaning schedule also b/c since I don't chew on the right side - it needs it more and since I ONLY chew on the left side - it needs it more!!  Take care of those teeth!!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:45:58 pm »
Karen that is for you too!!!  :o)
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 08:05:07 pm »
This is a very interesting topic.  I must say that my Baby Pumpkin has to have his first crown tom. due to his teeth are more brittle now.  The Cheif of Dentistry at Childrens Hospital told us when he was an in patient 3 years ago that the medications he was on were causing dental problems.  I assumed that the problems would go away after he went off of some of them.  Now I am beginning to wonder.   Hmmmm  ???

Nancy do you drink or eat acidic foods?  I know this can cause a decrease in enamel.

I will be watching this post with great interest.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:14:23 am »
Nancy -

funny you should mention this.

Although I don't have facial paralysis, a few months post op I started to have sensitive teeth on my right side - AN was on my left - but the dentist didn't think it was in any way related to my surgery.  He tried everything he could think of to find what was causing the problem, but couldn't find anything concrete.

I started to use Crest Sensitivity toothpaste and that seemed to help the problem, but when I went for my last teeth cleaning the hygenist said that Sensodyne would probably work better.  It seems the two have the same ingredients, but for some reason one works better than the other.

To make a long story short, I switched to Sensodyne and the problem has greatly improved.  The hygenist also recommended rinsing with a fluoride product - like ACT - to help with sensitivity.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:53:19 am »
Nancy - it seems like whenever we think a question is crazy around here - it turns out there are a lot of us with the same weird problems!

My 'good side" teeth are incredibly sensitive to cold too!  They never were before.  The sensodyne toothpaste did help -then I swtiched to the Crest sensitive because it was cheaper - and it doesn't work as well - so I'm switching back to the sensodyne.

Sheesh - I can't imagine how much extra spending money I'd have if it weren't for the special toothpaste, the eye drops, nose drops, bacitracin, hearing aid batteries, straws, eye wash, etc....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 04:11:45 pm »
Thanks everyone for chiming in on this, nice to have company!   I'll start chewing on my AN side more.  I'll keep using the prescription toothpaste they gave me, but I will definitely ask them about Sensodyne if I get no relief after a few months - I go back to the dentist June 5th.

What I was told to do is:  1st floss, then rinse with Biotene mouthwash, THEN brush with the sensitive toothpaste (in that order).  Do not rinse the toothpaste after brushing, just spit the excess out so there's a 'film' of toothpaste left on the teeth.
Just another step in this paralysis journey!

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

goinbatty

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 12:31:18 pm »
I don't have any facial problems but just went to the dentist this week for routine cleaning.  My problem is grinding my teeth at night.  I've had a night guard/retainer (goes on upper teeth) for a few years but haven't been the most compliant with wearing it.  My teeth are starting to shift a it more and are more sensitive so guess I'll go back to wearing the night guard every night.  YUK!  I asked about toothpaste and was told the over the counter sensitivity toothpaste is effective more when the front teeth are sensitive but prescription toothpaste works better when the back teeth are involved. 
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change