Author Topic: Tongue hurt? Taste problems?  (Read 5554 times)

lori67

Re: Tongue hurt? Taste problems?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 09:47:58 am »
Laurie -

I have the weird nose running thing too!  I think the YMCA is going to raise my rates for all the tissues I use while on the treadmill!  It only happens when I'm doing something more strenuous - carrying laundry baskets upstairs, mopping...I thought it was only me because my doctor said he'd never heard of that before.  Must be the name, huh?

Most of my taste issues are better now.  Everything tasted like a metal and cardboard sandwich for a few months.  Then everything tasted really salty for a while.  Now, I can taste mostly everything the way it's supposed to be, just more muted than it was.   I find myself spicing food up a little more these days, but I'll take that over metal!

And Nancy, funny you should bring up the weight loss thing.  Just this morning I said to my husband that I was considering having brain surgery again since I'd lost some weight after it last time - and then, sadly, put it back on - and then some.  Ugh...   >:(

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Boppie

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 06:22:38 pm »
I started this thread, so I need to report my progress.  At 27 months post op, my taste buds are fairly normal.  But when I burn my tongue on hot food, the pain subsides very slowly on the AN side.  I still cannot tolerate anything like hot food.  I have to let everything cool before I'll even sit down.  Any temptation to taste it when it is hot, ends up in a painful tongue and a bad meal time.

My complaints about nose dripping have almost stopped. Two days ago I became aware that my whole upper lip was wet.  I had been talking with friends for a couple of hours and my nose had wet my whole upper my lip;  I felt like a fool in front of my friends.  I hadn't even felt it.  If my husband had been there he'd have warned me.  I have no idea why I wouldn't feel the nose running so much.  I never had this gross problem before AN treatment.  Do radiation patients have this?

Yes, I lost about 30 pounds in the two years pre op.  I've been greatful for that lesson to my metabolism.  I've only gained back 4 or 5 of those pounds.  I plan to keep the weight off.  Carrying the same weight we had in our twenties can't hurt us, our joints, or our hearts.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 06:28:55 pm by Boppie »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 03:15:28 pm »

Carrying the same weight we had in our twenties can't hurt us, our joints, or our hearts.

Amen to that!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.