Author Topic: Life Insurance  (Read 1774 times)

Craig

Life Insurance
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:59:11 pm »
I wanted to start a thread so maybe we can bank together to find an insurance company to give us life insurance after FSR. If you are like me, I did not think about life insurance until after I had my radiation treatments. I have been turned down twice.

Did anyone get life insurance after radiation treatments?

Craig
1.78 CM AN / Vanderbilt Medical Center Trilogy System / 4 Radiation Treatments / 24gy total

Pembo

Re: Life Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:55:52 pm »
Craig, I have life insurance after surgery however it is just for $10K through my husband's employer. I was not required to get a medical exam. It wasn't until AFTER my 20 hour surgery that it dawned on me that I had NO life insurance whatsoever. I tried to get a policy and the premiums were very high.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others have experienced.........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 04:16:49 pm »
I'll leave this question to those who are eligible to buy a life insurance policy and just have to get past the AN barrier because like many, I have a life insurance policy through my spouse's company insurance plan.  True, it's only for $10,000. which I consider enough to pay for a funeral - and little more - but it's very cheap to buy and doesn't require a medical examination.  At 65, I assume a personal life insurance policy with a substantial benefit would be prohibitively priced, even if my AN surgery and radiation were not factored in, despite the fact that I'm in good health. 

I'll be watching the thread for further commentary and possibly some solutions to the life-insurance-after-AN dilemma. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 04:55:24 pm »
I didn't have radiation, I had surgery, but I was recently turned down for an increase in the amount of my life insurance based on a questionnaire (evidence of insurability) I had to complete.  On that form, I had to disclose my AN surgery.  Not that I would have lied, but even if I was going to, I couldn't have.   My life insurance is through the same carrier that provides my health insurance, so all they had to do was access my records and see my medical history for themselves.

Luckily, my insurance is through my employer, and they decided to waive the evidence of insurability form for all employees. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways