Author Topic: Tragedy & Blessing a two-sided coin.  (Read 4373 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Tragedy & Blessing a two-sided coin.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 05:44:19 pm »
Mary,

I did have my 2nd opinion today. This Dr. recommended retrosigmoid. He had the audiology test done again. Since April of last year (when I first had symptoms of a full ear that wouldn't pop) my word recognition has gone from 100% to 28% and there is a lot more high frequency loss. This topped by the fact I am getting more and more dizzy and cannot help my 87 year old mom, who lives with us, with her balance anymore.

I see a second surgeon Monday morning in connection with Dr. Daspit - a Dr Weisskopf (sp?). I will also be getting an appointment soon for the GK and CK with Dr. Kresl. A big decision on the horizon. I have decided that I have 90% eliminated the wait option since my symptoms are worsening and I have occasional twitching on by bottom lip now.

Take care from sunny warm Arizona. (I have stopped to appreciate that today)

Mary

Mary,

Hugs back to you.  Your decision to take action since your symptoms have changed makes sense.

It sounds like you are being very thorough in your doctor consults.  Afterword, you just have to weigh the options that are right for you. 

All the best on Monday and with your other upcoming visits.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 06:14:12 pm »
Hi Kate,

Thank you for the message. It sure helps to "talk" to people who have walked in these shoes. I really think once my decision is made I will be comfortable with it. My scientifically minded husband goes with me to all important visits and we compare notes. This is his life, too. We are in sync both with gut feelings about it and our interpretation of all the information we are trying to absorb. I am so thankful for him.

Take care and have a great weekend!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 09:45:14 pm »
Mary -

As you say, a big decision is on the horizon.  I'm glad you have your husband to support you; family is really important at a time like this.

I think eliminating the watch and wait option from your choices is a very wise decision in light of your decreasing hearing and your balance problems.

If it helps, I had retrosigmoid almost a year ago and SSD is pretty much my only side-effect.  I had small problems after my surgery, but with time they went away.

I think it's a great idea to check into GK and CK before you decide what action to take; it's good to look at all the possibilities before you make your treatment decision.

Keep us posted,

Jan 

PS - I'm glad to hear it was warm & sunny somewhere today.  I was just outside about an hour ago and we had huge snowflakes coming down.  Didn't look like they were sticking though - thank goodness!
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 09:48:10 pm »
Keeping you , Linda and her family in my thoughts...
she sounds like a great lady
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery