Author Topic: saw the ENT today -- update from reenie  (Read 2021 times)

reenie

saw the ENT today -- update from reenie
« on: April 18, 2008, 06:09:53 pm »
well, saw the ent today -- went over the films...he mentioned a few things -- one, my right side of my brain droops down some -- he called it some sort of "cephaly" and as usual, my brain goes out the window when talking to doctors (need to make mental note to tape record or bring competent adult with me) but he said there didn't seem to be spinal fluid in it, so not a problem.

then he showed me the "questionable" spot in what looks like my middle ear region. i could definitely see it.  he said its something and it shouldn't be there. he said its not bone and didn't "think" it was a tumor bc he said those usually show with contrast and he can't see this good with the contrast -- so he wants me to get a ct scan within 2 weeks and come to him right after the scan.  he was going to show my films to another neuroradiologist. 

soooo, hmm.  dunno what to think?  i guess did anyone have any kind of tumor that didn't per se show on an mri, but came better on a ct scan?  or is that possible?  did someone plant a magic bean in my brain?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: saw the ENT today -- update from reenie
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:18:39 pm »
hey reenie,

well, like you, I got me a bizarre one smack dab in the middle of the brain.. in my case, Chorodial (sp?) Cyst ... fluid filled and my NS is saying, at this time, nothing to worry about (granted my other medical issues).... so, maybe a cyst of some kind?  Mine did show on my MRI films that I had done with constrast, but certainly didn't "light up" like my AN did....

*looks to the rest of the peanut gallery*  See folks, I DO have something up there! ;)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tamara

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 07:00:44 am »
When my neurosurgeon looked at the films that showed my AN, he found another odd spot, something not symmetrical (apparently, symmetry is a good thing in the brain).  It did not show up well with contrast either.  I had a CT and they decided that it was a fat mass.  They think it's just an insignificant anomaly of how I'm put together. So, maybe yours will turn out to be something like that.  Hope so!

Tamara (AKA fat head)
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

reenie

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:34 am »
hmmm, maybe fat or air?  air pockets?  i have heard of that.  that would explain the dumbness i've had in recent years.  it looked kinda big and was sort of circular/oval like and perhaps symmetrical, but again, don't recall. 

did i mention that he said something like it looked like it would be near my facial region -- but since i don't have any facial symptoms....hmmmm.

now about this showing up and not showing up thing -- clearly it shows up -- b/c we can all see it.  but maybe it just doesn't show what it is? 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 11:53:54 am »
Reenie:

A CT scan should show the 'mystery mass' somewhat clearer as it uses X-ray-type imaging.  The 'mystery mass' may well be just some fat, space or something else that is negligible and non-health-threatening, in which case you'll be able to say you're an 'official' fathead or airhead, as the case may be.    Just kidding!  ;)

I hope the mystery gets solved soon.  Please let us know what this 'mystery mass' ultimately turns out to be.  Thanks. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 06:21:10 pm »
now about this showing up and not showing up thing -- clearly it shows up -- b/c we can all see it.  but maybe it just doesn't show what it is? 

The "not showing up" part is that the blob, whatever it is, did not enhance with the contrast. An acoustic neuroma will light up like a light bulb on the "with contrast" scan, compared to the "without".

Even though your result doesn't tell you what it is, it does tell you what it isn't: it isn't an acoustic neuroma, because it doesn't enhance with contrast.

I should go back and put "probably" in front of all of those statements, since there always seems to be an exception, but that's why your ENT says it is not an AN.

As for what it is instead, until you have the CT scan, I'll go with the blob of fat, that seems to be fashionable these days.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 06:53:34 am »
Reenie,

Just a note:  You might want to get a copy of the "report"  and "films" (often on a CD) from the hospital regarding your test. I would also request a copy of each after you have your CT.  That way, when you get a second opinion, you have everyting in one place.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/