Author Topic: A Question  (Read 1405 times)

beancounter

A Question
« on: April 19, 2008, 06:50:58 am »
I am curious to know if anyone discovered their "red herring" incidentally because of an MRI that was performed to rule out something else.  If so, were you and/or are you asymptomatic?  Mine was found last November and I am fortunate to have no symptoms at this point.  The little fairy in me is hoping maybe I can remain this way for a while and the big fairy in me is hoping for indefinitely.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar situation.  Thanks, and God bless.  Nancy
Newly diagnosed 3x2 mm .... waiting to see what my options are

danijake

Re: A Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 07:50:40 am »
Great to hear about the MRI to rule out something else!!!! I was passing out and having heart palpitations. The cardiologist sent me to the neurologist to rule out anything there. I was set up for a heart procedure on July 24th(I think) and found out about the tumor 4 days before. I still have to have the heart procedure, but the tumor was pressing on my brain stem, so they did that surgery first. I hope all goes well with you.

Dani

PS I had no symptoms-excellent hearing no headaches and no balance problems! So what gives?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:56:33 am by danijake »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: A Question
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:05:40 pm »
Hi, Nancy:

I believe many AN patients have had their AN 'discovered' by an MRI that was intended to check out a different condition.  I did.

When I presented to my PCP with unilateral hearing loss (long-term at that point), dizziness, sudden loss of taste as well as appetite, fatigue and a stabbing pain on the side of my skull along with a 30+ pound weight loss (totally unintended) he suspected thyroid, but that test came back negative.  Next, he suspected a sinus condition and that entailed an MRI scan.  My doctor called me at home the evening of the day I had the MRI (never a good sign) and said, in effect: "The good news is that your sinuses are fine.  The bad news is that you have an acoustic neuroma.....a big one...that can't be treated with radiation, alone.  You'll need surgery, and soon."  My brilliant response was: "whats an acoustic neuroma?"  I soon found out, as we all do.

I trust you'll remain asymptomatic for a long while but that is impossible to predict.  I wish you all the best, Nancy.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.