Author Topic: Total Deafness (Almost)  (Read 1926 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Total Deafness (Almost)
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:46:09 pm »
On my last sojourn to Florida in February I had a bad head cold. As the plane descended into Tampa, I began to notice that I was becoming increasingly deaf in my good ear.
We all know what it's like to have our ears close-up and pop open from changing air pressure but due to my sinus infection, my ear closed up and would not open again for more than two hours later. This was the closest I've ever come to experiencing what it must be like to be close to 100% deaf.  I mean, I needed a hearing ear dog to get off the plane. I was seriously frightened by what I experienced. It took at least two hours for my ear to reopen; and it was a gradual return without any "popping".

It's moments like this that provide a very dramatic demonstration of how completely and utterly deaf you are in an AN effected ear—when hearing in the good or remaining ear is seriously compromised as well.

I may have spoken of this before but I cannot remember as I do not post as much as I used to.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Palace

• Palace
Re: Total Deafness (Almost)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:54:42 pm »
Hello CrazyCat,

You might not post as often however, when you post---you have "something to say."

I've enjoyed your video contributions.  Thank you for being there for us.

I'm still learning from this forum and literature I receive in the mail from the association.

I've lost much more hearing with my AN ear since my last hearing test.  I have another ENT appointment in one month.

Being totally deaf is very frightening.  I still have a goal to learn "sign language."

Regards,

Palace
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 11:57:30 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Crazycat

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:05:05 am »
Thank-you Palace!
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:06:07 am »
Hi, Crazycat:

All SSD people (me included) are vulnerable to complete deafness.  Your recent 'temporary deafness' experience was clearly frightening and certainly brought home that vulnerability to you in a very personal way.  Although you couldn't have prevented this situation, it points out the vital necessity of preserving what hearing we have in our 'good' ear.  Thanks for sharing this real-life reminder.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Crazycat

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 03:46:34 pm »
You're welcome Jim!

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 05:23:59 pm »
This is really scary, Paul! I am glad everything is OK now!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:18:44 pm »
CC~
A few years back my good ear kind of felt funny and had some "stuff" in it -- I don't know what possessed me to try to "dry it" w/ a Q-tip, but I did.  I adhere to the "Don't stick anything smaller than your fist into your ear..."rule, but I did it none the less.  On the way to lunch I commented that my ear was really bothering me and my best friend told me I really needed to get it checked out b/c that was my only ear.  I called & of course, the Dr.'s left on Wednesday afternoons but the PA could see me.  Well, the PA took one look and got the Dr. that happened to be there (once again, it was my high school buddy that bailed me out the other day!).  He looked at it, gave me drops and medicine and told me to call him if it got worse.  During the night I got up to go to the bathroom and as I sat there, I realized I wasn't hearing anything...NADA....NOTHING.  It really freaked me out and I usually am not a Freaker Outter!!!  After we talked to the Dr. the next morning, I had to go the ENT & get a shunt put in.  I could hear nothing for about 4-5 days -- it was AWFUL because the 2 youngest girlies were 1 and 2 1/2!!  It gave me a taste of being without hearing and certainly made me value what I have even more!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Raven

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:08 pm »
Crazycat,

I experienced total deafness (almost) for a month after my second surgery. I could hear sounds but not words, but if you called me on the phone I could hear you perfectly in my good ear. I had fluid in my inner ear, my Dr. extracted it by going thru the eardrum.......very painfull but I instantly got my hearing back. A couple times since then my hearing has gone down a little but nothing like the first time. I learned to hold my nose and try to blow thru it, this helps open the eustachian tube and drain the fluid, I can feel my ear pop when I do this. Being deaf was no fun at all and very depressing.

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center