Author Topic: My AN story...  (Read 4577 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: My AN story...
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 03:39:11 pm »
Monica -

to start a new topic (new post) go to "home". 

Pick the category that most closely fits your topic - e.g. AN Community, Pre-Treatment Options, etc. - categories are listed on the left side of the screen.

Click on the category you've picked and you will see a list of all current topics under that category.   Look at the right side of the screen and find the "button" that says "new topic".  Click on that button and a "window" will open.  Fill in the blanks (subject, text), click on post, and you're good to go   :)

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 08:10:57 pm »
This is just too beautiful a story as are the replies you have gotten here- Ryan.

It is so nice to hear of another AN treatment success story that “kept moving forwardâ€? – but still took the time to come back and tell us about it.

Thank you SO much for sharing!

Now someone please hand me a tissue… :'( :) :'( :)

No no no- not popcorn Phyl   ???, (with the beautiful pearly whites   ;D) …. A tissue!  ;) I got teary eyed (well one eye tears anyway) reading this thread - and now my popcorn is all soggy…

Daisy Head Mazy  :) :'( :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

robynabc

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 11:45:34 pm »
HI,

Thanks for your story.  There is life after AN.  And my son had a huge one too.  There are issues but most people come out of this fine and it is not ususally life threatening.  The other good news is technology just keeps getting better and better and the doc's are getting better at this too.  20 years ago there was a 40% chance of motality now it is virutually 0%. 

Thanks again,

Your dad is lucky to have such a caring son.

Peace and Love.

Robyn

18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

jerseygirl

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 07:10:29 am »
Robyn,

I had my first surgery 20 years ago. From what I remember, mortality was already lower than 40%. Now I cannot believe what I survived! Where did you get your figures?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

LizH

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 01:00:16 pm »
Hi Ryan,

How are you? I've read your story. I have questions for you. Where did your dad have his surgery? Was it done by a neurosurgeon or neurotologist? did he have walking or balance problems before surgery? and did he have physical therapy after surgery? I am scheduled for surgery in about a month. I have walking problems now. In fact, I sit in a wheelchair. I am hoping that I can get rid of the wheelchair after surgery. Thank you. Greetings! Effiya.
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada

Ryan

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 09:23:52 pm »
Wow!  I'm very pleased everyone found my experience helpful!  It was very nice reading all of your posts.  Jim, you seem like you'd be great to hang out with! :D  I too commend everyone that sticks around to help people get through their experience.  You simply can't beat that kind of help!

A few people asked about my father's procedure.  I had mentioned that some docs told him he may not walk again after his surgery.  Although this is probably extremely rare, it was mentioned as a possible result of his surgery.  But remember, docs have to tell you these things even if it is close to impossible.  I'd urge those that felt worried after reading that comment to fear not.  It was simply something that worried my Dad enough for him to tell me about it.

Remember that a lot of what you read on the internet can be outdated, as several advances have been made in this realm.

My father opted for endoscopic surgery from a surgeon in Los Angeles.  Their website is www.skullbaseinstitute.com .  The surgeon's name is Hrayr K. Shahinian, MD (http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/shahinian.htm).

I participated in the phone consultation with him and my Dad and was very impressed with his knowledge and reassurance that my Dad was going to be ok.  The incision was very small and the scar is no longer visible on my Dad (it's covered up by his hair).

LizH, I hope the above answered your question.  My Dad did have some issues with balance before the surgery, but was able to walk ok.  He still has some slight balance issues, but it hasn't gotten any worse.  He didn't need physical therapy after surgery, but then again he probably wouldn't admit needing it if he did.  I believe his will [to be as normal as he was before getting his AN] was a tremendous help with his recovery.  I sincerely believe positive mental attitude made a huge difference for him.

I was not with my Dad during his surgery (he flew out to California with my stepmom), but he sounded good on the phone after it was over.  The surgery wasn't too long (6-8 hours if I remember correctly).  He wasn't too fond of the trip home, mostly because he was just so exhausted (surgery does that), but he had a great attitude about everything.

Thanks to everyone that replied!  You all seem like such a good group of people! :D

- Ryan
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:25:40 pm by Ryan »

LizH

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 08:12:37 am »
Thanks Ryan. I am glad to hear that your dad is doing well. LizH
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada